THIS EVENT IS IN THE PAST!
The Veterans Museum & Memorial Center's 'Spirit Of ’45 Day, 2012'
Above: Promotional image of The Spirit of ’45 Day at the Veterans Museum & Memorial Center.
The Spirit of ’45 Day commemorates the end of WWII, “VJ-Day.” This year’s theme is “Honoring Unsung Heroes and Their Families.” The day begins with live 1940’s era music groups and swing dancing performances, along with dance instruction, in the Veterans Memorial Garden outside the Veterans Museum.
Inside the museum, local veterans and their families will share their experiences during the war with the public. Special items from the collection will be on view.
Children can talk one-on-one with WWII Veterans, Hometown Heroes, and Rosie Riveters, to learn what it was like to be a proud American on the day when they heard the War was over and they'll learn the values by which this Greatest Generation lived.
Date: August 12th, 10am-3pm
Schedule of Events:
- 10:00 am - 12:00 pm : Big Band Music. Public is invited to dance, face painting and clowns for children.
- 11:00 am - 3:00 pm Inside Museum: Where Were You on August 14, 1945? Veterans and Hometown Heroes present their stories to service with younger generations.
- 12:00 pm Memorial Garden: Colors and National Anthem, Invocation.
San Diego Veterans Groups Introductions
- 12:10 pm Memorial Garden: Public Addresses by Congressmen Bob Filner Author of Bill for Spirit of '45 Day, Duncan D. Hunter; CA Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher, BGen. Robert Cardenas USAF (ret.), Jerry Kranz USMC and other representatives followed by "God Bless America"
- 12:35 pm - 3:00 pm Memorial Garden: Big Band Music. Public is invited to dance.
- 12:35 pm Museum West Patio: Food and drinks served on donation basis.
- 1:00 pm Memorial Garden: Cake cutting by VITAS
- 2:00 pm Inside Museum: WWII Documentaries showing
- 3:00 pm Memorial Garden: Echo Taps, Programs End
For more information contact Lucy Saltmarsh at 619-239-2300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org