THIS EVENT IS IN THE PAST!
Palm Springs Fine Art Fair
- When Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 5 p.m.
Friday, February 17, 2012 at 10 a.m.
Saturday, February 18, 2012 at 10 a.m.
Sunday, February 19, 2012 at 10 a.m.
- Where Palm Springs Convention Center, 277 N. Avenida Caballeros, Palm Springs, CA 92262
- Age limit All ages
- Categories Arts, Charity, Exhibits, Family, Lectures & Classes, Museums , Painting, Photography, Sculpture
- Cost $25 - $100
Above: Promotional graphic for the Palm Springs Fine Art Fair "post-war and contemporary art.
This elite four-day event features 47 prominent galleries showing over 2,000 works of post-war and contemporary art in the desert’s mid-century culture capital. Just a short drive from San Diego, the Palm Springs Fine Art Fair will be a Presidents Day Weekend retreat for art lovers.
Special events and exhibitions:
* The Fair begins with an Opening Preview Party from 5-8pm on February 16, offering art aficionados the first opportunity to acquire important works while enjoying cocktails and lively conversation with art world luminaries. Proceeds from the Preview Party benefit the Palm Springs Art Museum. Purchase tickets
* Judy Chicago, Lifetime Achievement Award and "Material Girl" Exhibition
Pioneering artist and arts patron Judy Chicago will be recognized with the Fair’s first Lifetime Achievement Award during the Opening Preview Party, followed by a lively and personal interview about her extensive career. In conjunction, David Richard Contemporary will present "Judy Chicago, Material Girl," highlighting 50 years of her practice in acrylics, needlework, paper and glass.
* "The Big Picture, Paintings from Southern California, 1960 -1980"
Art critic Peter Frank curates a high-impact historical exhibition of 60 definitive and pioneering works from the L.A. art movement. "The Big Picture" is officially sanctioned by the Getty Museum as a Pacific Standard Time Initiative Point of Interest.
* Arts Patron of the Year Award: Cheech Marin
Actor, director, and performer Cheech Marin has developed one of the finest private collections of Chicano art in the United States. A passionate advocate, Marin will be honored on Saturday February 18, and will be at the Fair as an exhibitor with select works from his personal collection.
* Palm Springs Collectors Forum
Entertaining and in-depth insights into hot art world topics. Hear about what’s new from leading experts around the country including curators, critics and artists.
Designed to appeal to the sophisticated collector and casual fan alike, the Palm Springs Fine Art Fair coincides with the opening of Modernism Week, creating a weekend of art, architecture and design unlike anything seen before.