Above: Promotional photo of Sonia Ancoli-Israel, PhD.
Stein Institute Presents: Getting Older and Good Sleep: Do they go hand in hand?
Please join us for our first lecture of 2012 as we welcome Sonia Ancoli-Israel, PhD, who will present “Getting Older and Good Sleep: do they go hand-in-hand?”
As we get older, sleep changes, but it is not aging that causes these changes. Poor sleep is more often associated with medical conditions, medications and changes in our biological clock. This talk will describe normal sleep in aging, causes of poor sleep and treatment options for different sleep problems.
Dr. Ancoli-Israel is a Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of California San Diego (UCSD) School of Medicine, Director of the Gillin Sleep and Chronomedicine Research Center and Director of Education at the Sleep Medicine Center at UCSD.
Dr. Ancoli-Israel’s expertise is in the field of sleep disorders and sleep research in aging. Her current interests include the longitudinal effect of sleep disorders on aging, the effect of circadian rhythms on sleep, therapeutic interventions for sleep problems in dementia, and fatigue, particularly the relationship between sleep, fatigue and circadian rhythms in cancer and other chronic illnesses.
Dr. Ancoli-Israel has been a guest on television and radio programs including NPR's Morning Edition and Fresh Air with Terry Gross. Dr. Ancoli-Israel is published regularly in medical and psychiatric journals with over 300 publications in the field.
• From Interstate 5 North or South: Exit La Jolla Village Drive West
• Right on Villa La Jolla Drive
• Left on Gilman Drive
• Left into Parking Lot 602 (first stop sign) (There are 4 handicap-accessible spaces in this lot.)
• From parking lot, walk towards Medical Teaching Facility (MTF)
• Right through MTF and enter Biomedical Science Building through glass doors
• Pass the first hallway and take the elevator to the second floor
• Exit the elevator and go left; at the end of the hallway, go left
• Follow signs to Liebow Auditorium, which is the last room on the left
Free parking is available by phoning (858) 534-6299 at least three working days in advance to receive a free parking permit. Attendees may also purchase permits at the parking kiosk on Gilman Drive or park at the metered sites. Google Map