THIS EVENT IS IN THE PAST!
25th Annual University City Celebration
Above: Photo of Armadillo Scrub Band performing on stage at University City Celebration 2011. Courtesy of the University City Celebration.
Celebrate the Fourth of July at University City Celebration! The twenty-fifth annual University City Celebration, held at Standley Park and Rec Center during the day on Thursday, July 4, 2013 is a neighborhood festival for the entire community, with concerts, games, attractions, food, and more!
UC Celebration is a day of fun in the San Diego community of University City. All are welcome to enjoy our concerts, childrens’ bike and pet parade, 5K run and 1 mile run/walk, pancake breakfast, photo scavenger hunt, book barn, inflatables and jumpies, beer garden, rock climbing wall, and booths from local businesses and community groups. There are a series of concerts, prize drawings, outdoor games, dance and martial arts demonstrations, and a free swim time at Swanson Pool.
Stage performances by local Polynesian & Hawaiian dance group and Standley Rec Center Aikido. Field games for children and adults will include the water balloon toss, tug o' war, and sack races.
As this is the 25th annual UC Celebration, Council President Pro Tem Sherri Lightner will deliver a City declaration commemorating the anniversary.
Admission: UC Celebration is free to the public. Concerts and field games are provided through funding from the Standley Park Recreation Council.The pancake breakfast has a nominal fee.
- 5K Run & 1 Mile Run/Walk – 7:00 am Registration (or register before July 4th at Standley Rec Center), 8:00 am Race Start
- Pancake Breakfast – 8:30 am to 10:00 am
- Bike and Pet Parade – 10:30 am, led by the Standley Middle School Marching Band
- Opening Ceremony – 10:45 am
- Main festivities – 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. (Concert and demonstrations on stage, field games, food and community booths)
- Photo Scavenger Hunt – 12:00 pm
- Free Swim at Swanson Pool – 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Field Games (Sack racing, water balloon toss, & tug of war) – in between stage events from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Headline Concert by Y3K: 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm
For volunteer opportunities at UC Celebration, contact: Betty Pardue, Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
For general information, visit http://www.universitycitynews.org/uc-4th-of-july/
Location: Standley Park and Recreation Center, 3585 Governor Drive San Diego, CA 92122 Google Map
Parking & Transportation:
The parking lot at the recreation center will be closed to the general public. The parking lot at Swanson Pool will be open only to those with disabled parking permits. A free trolley will be running along the length of Governor Drive with stops at the parking lots at the Sprouts’ shopping center (Governor Drive & Regents Road), Vons shopping center (Governor Drive & Genesee Avenue) and the park and ride lot (Governor Drive & Interstate 805). Trolley service will operate from 11:00 am to 7:30 pm.