Controversy grows over Barrio Logan’s Mercado Project
Friday, June 16, 2006
A San Diego developer yesterday announced a major break-through for a long-stalled inner-city redevelopment project. But a city official was quick to dismiss the news as inconsequential.
Developer Sam Marasco announced a letter-of-agreement signed by the Target Corporation to anchor the long-awaited Mercado Project near Chicano Park in Barrio Logan.
But City Attorney Mike Aguirre shrugged off the announcement because the city earlier this month cancelled its redevelopment deal with Marasco.
Marasco says he's still on the project and that the community has been waiting for this agreement with the Target Corporation.
Marasco says his plan is to break ground on the retail portion of the project in 2007.
Aguirre says the city is in the process of selecting a new developer.