Contractor’s Cooperation Continues in Duke Cunningham Case
Monday, March 12, 2007
A defense contractor who pleaded guilty to bribing former GOP Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham continues to cooperate and may be a trial witness against another contractor and an ex-CIA official who were indicted last month, a federal prosecutor said Monday.
Mitchell Wade "is cooperating in a number of matters" and "may well be a trial witness" in the case against the CIA's former No. 3 official, Kyle "Dusty" Foggo, and contractor Brent Wilkes, the prosecutor said in federal court.
Federal prosecutor Howard Sklamberg gave the update to U.S. District Judge Ricardo Urbina at a status hearing in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia Circuit.
Urbina agreed to delay sentencing and set another status hearing for Sept. 10.
Wade, who pleaded guilty a year ago to plying Cunningham with a yacht, cash and other gifts in exchange for Defense Department contracts, was not present in court. His attorney, Howard Shapiro, declined comment after the hearing, as did Sklamberg.
Cunningham, of suburban San Diego, pleaded guilty in November 2005 to taking $2.4 million in bribes from defense contractors and was sentenced to more than eight years in prison.
Foggo, executive director of the CIA until he resigned in May, was accused last month of accepting vacations and other gifts from Wilkes, who in return got inside information that helped him win agency contracts. Wilkes also was accused of funneling bribes to Cunningham. Foggo and Wilkes face 11 counts of fraud, conspiracy and money laundering. They have pleaded not guilty and are free on bail.
The case is being prosecuted by the U.S. attorney's office in San Diego and no trial date has been set.
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.