Cinema Junkie by Beth Accomando

Nim's Island
Jodie Foster revisits her old Disney days in Nim's Island (Fox-Walden)

Watching Jodie Foster in Nim's Island (opening April 4 throughout San Diego) is something of a disorienting experience. You forget that she's won a pair of Oscars and done fine, subtle work in films such as Taxi Driver and Silence of the Lambs . Instead you are thrown back in time to find Foster doing the kind of broad comic work she did as a tyke in those Disney kiddie movies. Nim's Island has the same forced comedy and condescending storytelling as those old Napoleon and Samantha or Freaky Friday kids films.

Russ
June 29, 2008 at 02:01 PM
I couldn't disagree more with this review. I thought Nim's Island was a sweet, charming movie and I enjoyed it so much that I saw it a second time.

Beth Accomando from San Diego
June 29, 2008 at 05:57 PM
Well I'm glad you could enjoy it but it just wasn't to my taste. Thanks for the comment and the opposing viewpoint.

Anonymous
August 06, 2008 at 10:21 PM
Refreshing enthusiasm from all involved. It was nice to see an enthusiastic free spirited girl outside and full of wonderment. Not these angry jaded little mini adults you see so much of now in film and TV. Everyone seemed to be having fun. It felt much more like the '80s films of my childhood that way. As someone with mild agoraphobia I could really relate to and yet laugh at Foster's predicament. (I think the joke was on agoraphobics, not stereotypical reclusive writers.) However the script was sloppy and sketchy and just went down hill as the movie progressed. Could have been so much better, and these characters deserved it.

Beth Accomando
August 06, 2008 at 10:50 PM
I do agree that Breslin's character was refreshing.

Tony from Melbourne
August 14, 2008 at 07:26 AM
I think you are far too old and jaded to be reviewing films like this. Oh... but this is 'cinema' isn't it. My apologies.

Beth Accomando from San Diego
August 14, 2008 at 03:49 PM
Tony, If it makes you feel better to think of me as old and jaded and that's why I couldn't appreciate this badly made and condescending kid's film, then I'm happy to accept the label. And believe me I've been called worse. But maybe I dismissed this film because I see a lot of films, so many of which far surpass this one in terms of imagination and storytelling. The recent Millions was far better so too are any of Hayao Miyazaki's animated films (which also have strong girl protagonists). But then maybe you think because Miyazaki's films come from Japan they are somehow "cinema" not worthy of the mainstream, but they are in actuality populist entertainment, and he has been dubbed the Disney of Japan. And "cinema" includes everything from Ed Wood and Roger Corman to Kurosawa and Coppola. All I want from film or cinema is to see something done well, it doesn't matter how small or how grand or even how silly. This film just fell flat and based on all the squirming the kids in the theater were doing, I don't think it was winning over all of the young and unjaded crowd either. Thanks for your comment and I'm glad that some people are enjoying the film.

Please stay on topic and be as concise as possible. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Community Discussion Rules. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.

comments powered by Disqus