“The Gangster We Are All Looking For”: Connections & Resources
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Films Relating to Vietnamese American experience
- Oh Saigon by Doan Hoang
- Journey from the Fall by Ham Tran
- The Farmers and the Helicopters by Ding Q. Lê
Films that served as inspiration for the child’s point of view in Gangster (according to the author)
- The 400 Blows by Francois Truffaut
- The Spirit of the Bee Hive by Victor Erice
"The Things They Carried" by Tim O’Brien
A collection of related stories about an American platoon during the Vietnam War.
Thúy said, “Food as a repository of memory is an important part of Gangster. Sharing food is sharing cultures.” Some local Vietnamese restaurants to try:
- Pho Hoa Linda Vista, 6921 Linda Vista Road, (858) 492-9108
- LV Sandwiches & Restaurant, 6925 Linda Vista Road
- Pho Sao Bien, 1958 Garnet Avenue, (858) 272-9612
- Thuan Phat Market, 6935 Linda Vista Road, (858) 505-0168
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.
Please stay on topic and be as concise as possible. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Community Discussion Rules. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.