Authorities Say 17-Year-Old Boy Intended To Die
Thursday, December 2, 2010
A 17-year-old boy who died after crossing into oncoming traffic on state Route 78 in Vista apparently intended to die, authorities said today.
The boy, whose name was withheld, was struck by a 2000 Buick on the westbound side of the highway at Sycamore Avenue just after 7 p.m. on Wednesday, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office.
He died at the scene.
About 15 minutes later, deputies received a call from a doctor's office, stating that earlier in the evening an at-risk runaway had made suicidal statements, according to sheriff's Sgt. Rob Smith.
The runaway turned out to be the boy who died, Smith said, adding that he apparently ran straight from the doctor's office to the highway.
The highway where the fatality occurred was closed for almost three hours while evidence was gathered, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Please stay on topic and be as concise as possible. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Community Discussion Rules. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.