Friday, July 23, 2010
It's "Star Wars" day at the Comic-Con International convention in downtown San Diego, where a celebrity-studded party and major comic industry awards ceremony will also be held today.
"Star Wars" day will feature six special programs about the popular series, including panels on upcoming new releases, marketing strategies and collectibles, according to Comic-Con's website.
At 6:30 p.m., actor William Shatner is set to join dozens of other celebrities at a "Tweet House" party being held aboard the USS Midway Museum in conjunction with Comic-Con. The event, which will celebrate Twitter's role on entertainment, will include performances by live bands, DJs and fireworks.
At 8:30 p.m., the 22nd annual Eisner Awards -- considered the "Oscars" of the comic industry -- will be given out at a ceremony being held at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront.
Other highlights of the day's events at the convention center include:
- Universal Pictures presenting an exclusive look at the science fiction thriller "Skyline,"
- CBS showcasing its sitcom "The Big Band Theory,"
- Comics legend Stan Lee discussing his work,
- Sony Pictures previewing its upcoming films "The Other Guys," "The Green Hornet" and "Priest,"
- and the cast from "True Blood" taking part in a panel discussion.