Anti-Obama Marine Sgt. Gary Stein Officially Discharged Today

Sgt. Gary Stein

Above: Sgt. Gary Stein

Military officials announced today that Camp Pendleton Marine Sgt. Gary Stein has been dismissed from the Marines with an "Other than Honorable" discharge, meaning he won't receive military benefits after leaving the service.

Stein first got into hot water for writing Anti-Obama posts on his Facebook page. A Marine administrative board recommended Stein for dismissal during a April 5 hearing. Today the Commanding General for Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego announced his approval of the board's recommendation for discharge.

According to a MCRD news release:

The Commanding General found that the board was conducted in accordance with law and regulation, that the findings of misconduct were supported by the evidence of record, and thus has approved the board's recommendation that Sgt Stein be separated from the Marine Corps with an "other than honorable" discharge... Marines administratively separated with an "other than honorable" discharge are automatically reduced to pay grade E-3, to become effective upon separation.

Stein has said he plans to fight his discharge all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. He responded to news of his dismissal on his Facebook page:

I have spent the last 9 years honorably serving this great nation and the Corps. Even though I will be discharged no one can take the title of Marine away from me. I thank my family and friends for their support and love. Today is just the start of the rest of my life. Semper Fi.

Comments

JeanMarc | April 25, 2012 at 1:11 p.m. ― 1 year, 12 months ago

This is wrong.

Peking_Duck_SD | April 25, 2012 at 1:46 p.m. ― 1 year, 12 months ago

Can this now **finally** leave the news cycle?

With all the stuff going on in the world and all *important* news makers doing things notable everyday, it's just plain wrong that the face I see **most** in our local media is that of this loser.

Does KPBS and the others realize you are playing into exactly what this fraud wants??

**He wants bloody attention and you are giving it to him almost daily!!**

This has nothing to do with principles, civil liberties, or free speech, it has to do with an attention-seeking nobody who realized he had a way of becoming a folk hero to a minority group of right wing birther types who hate the President.

I liken this fool to "Joe the Plumber".

Just wait, much like the deranged plumber (whom I hear is not running for political office) this idiot will try and ride this into politics.

Absolutely foul.

I have zero smpahy for him, I feel he is waiting limited news space, and I'd be happy never to hear about this freak again.

Peking_Duck_SD | April 25, 2012 at 1:54 p.m. ― 1 year, 12 months ago

Correction, joe the plumber who I hear **is** running for political office.

The loony birther and tea party fiends have latched on to this guy and realized the media is all to happy to waste time on him, just like they did joe the plumber.

Political operative GOP bosses were lurking in the dark like predators waiting for a young stupid person to groom and then use as a political pawn. Thy seized on the plumber, fingering him as someone really dumb, really easy to exploit, who was able to attract media attention.

They have done the same with Stein.

Let's start a pool to take wagers on which low level political office he will get tea party backing from.

Just remember dears when you are reporting on his future political run, you heard it from the duck first! *Quack*

JeanMarc | April 25, 2012 at 2:38 p.m. ― 1 year, 12 months ago

Time to switch to decaff, Peking Duck.

Your opinion is noted, but it is only your opinion and a lot of people disagree with it.

JeanMarc | April 25, 2012 at 2:48 p.m. ― 1 year, 12 months ago

I wonder by what standard you are measuring Sgt. Stein, a man who risks his life for your country, that you are able to label him a loser.

Peking_Duck_SD | April 25, 2012 at 3:24 p.m. ― 1 year, 12 months ago

Jean, I am labeling I such because he chose to put politics and media attention above service to his country.

I recognize that at one time he did a very noble thing - he volunteered to defend our country.

But unfortunately that wasn't enough for him, he had to do something he clearly knew the consequences of.

Now the military has to waste time and money dealing with this.

Can you imagine if everyone in the military did what his guy did? It would be dysfunctional chaos.

He is a disgrace to the other members of the military who have the discipline to follow the appropriate rules.

Missionaccomplished | April 26, 2012 at 8:29 a.m. ― 1 year, 12 months ago

A lot of jarheads making the headlines in recent months.

Studying_Nomad | April 26, 2012 at 11 a.m. ― 1 year, 12 months ago

This essay may help some of you that are having a hard time understanding the situation. He's not the first, nor the last, but he will sure be the next arrogant Politian on the stage.

Forgot your password?