My Music: Big Band Vocalists
Airs Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 4 p.m. on KPBS TV
Thursday, September 13, 2012
Hosted by Nick Clooney and Peter Marshall, this MY MUSIC special looks back at the “crooners” and “canaries” of the 1940s, featuring the greatest vocalists of the period when they started their careers performing with orchestras and dance bands.
Taken from long-unseen film footage dating from the 1940s and 1950s, this nostalgic look back offers romantic favorites from an all-star roster of legendary artists such as Louis Armstrong, Perry Como, Doris Day, Helen Forrest, Dick Haymes, Peggy Lee, Dinah Shore, Frank Sinatra, Jo Stafford & the Pied Pipers and many more.
"Big Band Vocalists" features these performances:
• “Don’t Sit Under the Apple Tree” – The Andrews Sisters with Harry James Orchestra
• “I Can’t Give You Anything But Love” – Louis Armstrong
• “Somebody Loves Me” – Tex Beneke
• “Tampico” – June Christy with Stan Kenton Orchestra
• “I’ll Dance at Your Wedding” – Buddy Clark with Ray Noble Orchestra
• “I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm” – Rosemary Clooney
• “On the Sunny Side of the Street” – Nat King Cole & Tony Martin
• “I Wonder Who’s Kissing Her Now” – Perry Como with Ted Weems Orchestra
• “Big Noise From Winnetka” – Bob Crosby & Orchestra
• “It’s Magic” – Doris Day
• “Green Eyes” – Bob Eberle & Helen O’Connell with Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra
This program is part of our TV Membership Campaign. Support quality programming you depend on from KPBS. Join or renew today!
Please stay on topic and be as concise as possible. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Community Discussion Rules. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.