Weekends on KPBS Radio Get a Makeover
New Programs Added and Midweek Repeats of KPBS Midday Edition
KPBS Press Release | Friday, September 28, 2012
Claudine Casillas - (619) 594-4266
Audience & Member Services - (888) 399-5727
SAN DIEGO KPBS 89.5 FM has added five new programs to the weekend schedule and is reshuffling existing programs to make room for these fresh new offerings from NPR, the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation), and others. Listeners will now be able to tune-in to an encore of the station’s signature radio program, KPBS Midday Edition, Monday through Thursday at 10 p.m. The Midday Edition repeat will be followed by an encore of NPR’s Fresh Air with Terry Gross at 11 p.m. These additions begin Monday, October 1.
Starting Saturday, October 6, five new programs have been added to the weekend line up including Animal House featuring Dr. Gary Weitzman, the new president of the San Diego Humane Society.
New weekend programs debuting on KPBS 89.5 FM
• The Animal House - explores the latest in animal science, pet behavior, and wildlife conservation (Saturdays at 5 a.m. & Sundays at 7 p.m.)
• Day 6 - a fresh look on the week’s news from the CBC (Saturdays at 1 p.m.)
• Ask Me Another –NPR's new program featuring puzzles, word games and more (Saturdays at 8 p.m.)
• TED Radio Hour – explores ideas and inventions based on riveting TEDTalks from the world's most remarkable minds (Sundays at 4 p.m.)
• Says You! – a game of wordplay, riddles, anagrams, and more (Sundays at 6 p.m.)
“These changes answer a growing need for quality news and information as well as adding new voices to our lineup,” said KPBS Program Director John Decker. “More and more San Diegans are turning to KPBS for balance, perspective, integrity – and entertainment. We’re dedicated to making sure our programming is relevant and reflects these values.”
In addition to the new programs, some of the existing shows will have new timeslots. The popular A Prairie Home Companion will air at 6 p.m. on Saturdays; the show will continue to repeat at 11 a.m. on Sundays.
New times for current shows
• Radio Lab – Fridays at 10 p.m. and Saturdays at 12 noon
• This American Life – Fridays at 11 p.m. and Sundays at 1 p.m.
• Weekend All Things Considered – Saturdays and Sundays at 2 p.m.
• Marketplace Money – Saturdays at 3 p.m.
• A Way with Words – Saturdays at 4 p.m.
• Splendid Table – Saturdays at 5 p.m.
• Car Talk – remains Saturdays at 10 a.m. and Sundays at 3 p.m.
• A Prairie Home Companion - Saturdays at 6 p.m. and Sundays at 11 a.m.
• Travel with Rick Steves – Sundays at 8 p.m.
• BBC– weeknights at midnight; Saturdays at 9 p.m.; Sundays at 11 p.m.
KPBS Radio Schedule - October 2012
KPBS Radio Program Schedule, Effective October 1, 2012
Access the radio schedule or refer to the attached grid to see the lineup.
KPBS is a public service of San Diego State University, serving the region with TV, Radio and Internet content that is educational as well as entertaining—and free of commercial interruption.
Please stay on topic and be as concise as possible. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Community Discussion Rules. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.