Duck Dynasty’ Patriarch Doubles Down; Palin Defends Him

Four of the stars of

Saying that his mission "is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together," Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson isn't backing away from the comments he's made about gays that have led A&E to suspend him from the popular show indefinitely.

Robertson, in a statement to Fox News' FOX411, goes on to say:

"However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

If you're just catching up on this story, A&E this week suspended Robertson after GQ posted a long piece about the Duck Dynasty phenomenon and the Robertson family. Among the things Robertson says in that story (fair warning: "adult" content follows):

"It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a man's anus. That's just me. I'm just thinking: There's more there! She's got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical."

He also:

-- Paraphrases Corinthians to say: "Don't be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers--they won't inherit the kingdom of God. Don't deceive yourself. It's not right."

-- Says that when he was growing up in Louisiana in the days before the Civil Rights movement, "I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. ... Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

His suspension, The Associated Press says, has been "lauded by the gay and lesbian media advocacy group GLAAD, which had quickly condemned Robertson's comments. 'What's clear is that such hateful anti-gay comments are unacceptable to fans, viewers, and networks alike,' said GLAAD spokesman Wilson Cruz. Robertson's removal 'has sent a strong message that discrimination is neither a Christian nor an American value.' "

But Robertson also has his defenders, including 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin. She tweets that, "Free speech is endangered species; those 'intolerants' hatin' & taking on Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing personal opinion take on us all."

Palin has also posted a photo of herself with the Robertsons.

As the AP notes:

"Robertson and his extended family became wealthy manufacturing duck calls and were turned into TV and pop culture stars by Duck Dynasty, which has set cable ratings records for a non-fiction series. Several family members appeared in this year's Macy's Thanksgiving parade."

Copyright 2013 NPR. To see more, visit www.npr.org.

Comments

Peking_Duck_SD | December 20, 2013 at 8:20 a.m. ― 11 months, 1 week ago

Why are people saying his "free speech" was violated ?

He was able to speak his mind and now right wing pop icons like Palin and Limbaugh want to silence those who don't agree from speaking out.

Furthermore, defenders of this millionaire redneck are apparently anti-capitalist because they are attacking a t.v. network from making a BUSINESS DECISION.

They didn't tell the millionaire redneck he isn't allowed to speak his mind, they told him to take a hike when they feared sponsors would be boycotted.

It's interesting how suddenly right wingers are so opposed to a private company dismissing someone because they feel their profits are in jeopardy.

I thought this was free market capitalism right wing actors like Palin and Limbaugh defend.

By the way, nobody was in an uproar when MSNBC host Martin Bashir was let go for saying crude things about Palin's idiotic comparisons of slavery to health reform.

I guess Ms. Palin is only outraged when t.v. networks dismiss people for saying things that don't fit with her right-wing tea party agenda.

Peking_Duck_SD | December 20, 2013 at 8:31 a.m. ― 11 months, 1 week ago

By the way, while I defend this guy's right to state his opinion (as well as the network's right to make a business decision), if you look into all the things this millionaire bearded reality star has said it proves a point I have made for years : bigotry and discrimination rarely occurs in a vacuum.

I see it time and time again, people who are homophobic are often also racist or xenophobic or engage in other discrimination beyond just gay hating.

Sure enough this millionaire pop icon of the Deep South wingers has also made very troubling comments about African Anericans.

Look up the idiotic things he said - they are even more troubling than his anti-gay remarks.

I've never seen this program before but I've seen the type if people who get fiercely addicted to reality t.v. shows and they are more often than not dumbed-down and a little nutso. I have no doubt the followers of these bin laden - like beard sporting rich t.v. actors are any different.

Peking_Duck_SD | December 20, 2013 at 8:45 a.m. ― 11 months, 1 week ago

I wonder if one of the gay Iranian-Americans on "Shah's of Sunset" (yes, a gay Persian living in Hollywood, don't freak out wingers they DO exist) was to do a interview and say something negative about Christians and then be dismissed from the program, would Palin and Mr. Limbaugh be out defending the gay Iranian-American reality star's right to free speech ??

Of course not.

This is so overtly political and hypocritical.

Save the faux outrage for the faux news channel.

DeLaRick | December 20, 2013 at 9:31 a.m. ― 11 months, 1 week ago

Duck (no pun),

I agree on all points.

"We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

One of the trappings of modern life is a total lack of self-awareness that leads to hypocrisy or the inability to follow your own advice. It's sad that the irony of basing your bigotry on a quasi-fictional book then appealling to "logic" is lost on Mr Robertson. Some folks are comfortable with worshipping a vengeful, petty, destructive, indifferent, and exclusionary god; a growing number of people are not.

Peking_Duck_SD | December 20, 2013 at 9:46 a.m. ― 11 months, 1 week ago

DLR ;)

Since the bearded millionaire reality star went there, what about oral sex ?

Very few straight Christians have not engaged in either giving or receiving oral sex from their opposite sex partner, but wouldn't the "old school" values say this is an "abuse of one's body" and against nature?

Nobody gets pregnant from oral sex, and God made the mouth and tongue for eating FOOD not pleasuring the flesh of a heterosexual partners vagina or penis, right ?

I mean this stuff is so subjective and, as DLR pointed out, this cherry picking ancient books to use as a guise for discriminatory viewpoints is ridiculous.

Peking_Duck_SD | December 20, 2013 at 9:50 a.m. ― 11 months, 1 week ago

If the bearded millionaire wants to put it all out there, let's see how "morally grounded" he is.

Has he engaged in sex outside of marriage?

Has he given or received oral sex?

Has he pleasures himself to the thought of two women engaging in sex?

Has he ever cheated on a partner?

Has he ever walked by a girl who might be 18 but then again might just be 16 or 17 and had an "unnatural thought"?

Hypocrisy.

sdreefer21 | December 20, 2013 at 11:07 a.m. ― 11 months, 1 week ago

I'd be curious to see how many viewers of his show align with his point of view.