San Onofre Hearing Set To Begin Amid Hint From Edison Of Permanent Shutdown

Thursday, May 9, 2013
By Maureen Cavanaugh, Megan Burke

The stakes got even higher last week in the effort to determine the fate of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station. Edison chief Ted Craver says without a restart approval on Unit 2, Southern California Edison may shut down one or both of the reactors by the end of this year.

In addition, the state electric grid operator says the chances of power outages has increased slightly if we go another summer without nuclear power.

Meanwhile, the state California Public Utilities Commission is still trying to determine what costs from the 15-month San Onofre shutdown can or cannot be passed along to consumers.