Friday, September 27, 2013
Staying Safe Amid Red Flag Warning
A few helpful reminders and fire prevention tips include:
- Don’t mow or use a weed-eater to trim dry grass on windy days.
- Ensure campfires are allowed, and if so, be sure to extinguish them completely.
- Never pull over your vehicle in dry grass.
- Never burn landscape debris like leaves or branches on “NO Burn Days” or when it’s windy.
- Make sure all portable gasoline-powered equipment have spark arresters.
Source: CAL FIRE
SAN DIEGO — Local fire-fighting agencies are on high alert this weekend amid dry and windy conditions in San Diego County, CAL FIRE said Friday.
The high alert came after the National Weather Service issued a red flag warning Friday afternoon for the following communities: Ramona, Valley Center, Fallbrook, Escondido, El Cajon, Alpine, Potrero, Campo, Santa Ysabel, Descanso, Julia, Ranchita and Warning Springs. The warning will be in effect until 6 p.m. Saturday.
"This is the first Red Flag Warning of what is shaping up to be one of the most challenging fire seasons in many years," CAL FIRE Captain Mike Mohler said in a statement.
Mohler urged San Diegans to be cautious and vigilant, warning that high winds can turn a spark into a devastating wildfire "in just minutes."