ADVERTISEMENT | Become a sponsor today!
Lux Art Institute
- 1550 South El Camino Real
- Encinitas, CA 92024
- Fax 760-436-1400
- View Map | Visit Website | E-mail this place
Lux Art Institute, located in Encinitas, Calif., opened its doors to the public in November 2007 and is redefining the museum experience with its unique artist-in-residence program.
At Lux, artists live and work on site, while producing a commissioned work of art. Throughout the year, Lux invites significant regional, national, and international artists to participate in the Lux residency and encourages visitors from across the country to observe and engage with them. This one-of-a-kind institution invites visitors to not only “see art,” but also to “see art happen.”
The perfect backdrop for artistic exploration and appreciation, Lux Art Institute is located on a four-acre parcel overlooking the San Elijo Lagoon, and is surrounded by a wildlife preserve that stretches two miles to the Pacific Ocean.
Designed by architect Renzo Zecchetto, the Artist Pavilion incorporates a variety of water- and energy-saving strategies to reduce its impact on the local environment, qualifying it as one of only a few LEED-certified “green” buildings in San Diego County. In an effort to meld the conservation and re-vegetation beyond the museum walls, an array of rare native plants blends seamlessly into the nearby preserve.
Lux Art Institute is redefining the museum experience to make art more accessible and personally meaningful. At Lux, you don’t just see finished works of art; you see the artistic process firsthand, engaging with internationally recognized artists in a working studio environment.
As part of this mission, Lux works to
- Support artists in the development of new projects through a residency program, and share their discoveries with scholars, art patrons and a regional and national audience.
- Educate and engage the community to foster an appreciation of the living artist and creative process.
- Exhibit finished works from Lux residencies alongside the artist’s other works and those of others who have influenced them.
- Develop relationships with similar institutions to produce publications that interpret the work created in the residency program.
NOW $5 FOR ADULTS (21+)
**For groups of 10 or more, please call 760-436 6611 in advance to schedule a tour. Each ticket is good for two visits during the same residency.
Free for Members, Ages under 21 and Family
Upcoming event at Lux Art Institute
- Saturday, June 23, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Fashion Week San Diego has partnered with Lux Art Institute to be a part of their Creative Nights, where select artists will be partnered with FWSD18 Designers to create fashionable works of art. Five artists will be selected to exhibit during our Art Couture event on June 23 and given the opportunity to submit an art piece for competition. The winner will be featured at the FWSD18 Runway Shows! Event ... Read more
All upcoming events at Lux Art Institute
Creative Nights: Art CoutureJune 23, 2018
Reception & Artist Talk: Dave PersuéJuly 13, 2018
3rd Annual Traveling Stories GalaSeptember 22, 2018