skip to main content

Listen

Read

Watch

Schedules

Programs

Events

Give

Account

Donation Heart Ribbon

Avatar for shelomith_stow

( shelomith_stow )

Comments made by shelomith_stow

Bill to Send "Un-Registered" Sex Offenders to Prison Dies

I keep seeing this link between registrants removing GPS and now registrants failing to register and the realignment law that was passed to ease prison overcrowding.

It is my understanding, from multiple sources, that when realignment was passed, those on the registry were exempt from it. In other words, realignment would not affect registered sex offenders. If this is accurate, why doesn't media know this? Everything a registrant does or is speculated to have done is blamed on realignment.

March 13, 2013 at 2:11 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

State Board Recommends Sex Offender Exclusion Zones

On what did the board base its recommendation to create these "safety zones"? I'm guessing they didn't look at the evidence and testimony coming from other states and jurisdictions that strongly suggest these sorts of restrictions are virtually impossible to enforce and totally unproven as a deterrent to sexual assault of children.
They also must not have studied too closely the massive amount of information telling us that the sexual threat to children is not the unknown sex offender lurking around the playground but the family members, friends, and trusted acquaintances already in the children's lives. To create a safety zone that has any chance of protecting children from sexual assault and abuse, the zone will need to exclude their parents, grandparents, uncles, siblings, cousins, coaches, friends' fathers and on and on and on.

May 1, 2010 at 7:26 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

California Parole System Criticized

Edward, really? Anyone who gets in the RSO (Registered Sexual Offender) database is a threat to society? That's not what our Justice Dept. says.

“Only 5.3% of sex offenders are considered the high risk and dangerous predators according to the Justice Policy Institute.”

One of my son's best friends is a RSO; his crime? Having sex with his wife before they married, when she was 16 and he was 19. Funny, his wife and children don't seem to fear him. They are a bit angry that he can't attend parent day at their schools or come to their activities, but I guess they will learn to live with it.

Edward, did you know this? The ECONOMIST found:

“At least five states require registration for people who visit prostitutes, 29 require it for consensual sex between young teenagers and 32 require it for indecent exposure. Some prosecutors are prosecuting teenagers for the ‘distributing child pornography’ called ‘sexting” via their cell phones."

Indecent exposure includes streaking, mooning, and public urination. I don't know about you, but I don't feel threatened because some guy got drunk during a frat party and jogged naked around the square or peed on the curb or some man visited a call girl. Teens sending pictures of themselves to other teens doesn't strike fear in my heart. How about we save our panic and fear for the 5.3% deemed dangerous and get the other 94.7% off the register and let them live in peace.

April 3, 2010 at 6:23 a.m. ( | suggest removal )