ADVERTISEMENT | Become a sponsor today!
Linda Vista Branch Library
The first Linda Vista Branch Library, a 400 square foot converted cottage, was opened on June 30, 1942. With a population of 13,000 people, 5,000 of which were children, it was apparent early on that the facility was inadequate. Many days people had to line up outside to enter and use the library. A new facility of 4,000 square feet was opened on April 9, 1951 at 6950 Linda Vista Road. In the early 1980s it again became apparent that a larger facility was needed.
On Dec. 12, 1987, a 10,000 square foot facility designed by San Diego based architect Rob Quigley was opened. The library consists of four wings branching off the central two-story rotunda: North and South are adult and children’s rooms, respectively; east are staff workrooms and a computer lab and West are restrooms and a well used multi-purpose meeting room. The rotunda houses the World Languages and Young Adult collections, Friends’ book sale, holds pick-up and circulation functions.
Circulation statistics place Linda Vista in the top third among the 35 branches. The collection consists of approximately 80,000 items. Juvenile circulation is 34 percent of the total and growing. The Spanish, Vietnamese and Chinese language collections are areas of high demand. Public access Internet terminals are well used by patrons of all ages, as is wireless access.