2 More H1N1 Deaths Reported in San Diego County
Monday, June 29, 2009
SAN DIEGO Two more San Diego-area residents -- a 49-year-old woman and 75-year-old man -- have died of complications related to the H1N1 virus, the county Health and Human Services Agency announced today.
"These two deaths are a reminder that everyone needs to be aware that the H1N1 influenza continues to infect people in our community," said Dr. Wilma Wooten, the county's public health officer. "Our thoughts are with the friends and families of these individuals."
Earlier this month, a 20-year-old woman died from swine flu, becoming the first person in San Diego County to succumb to the illness.
Wooten encouraged residents to continue to take the precautions they would during a regular flu season, such as covering the mouth when coughing or sneezing and frequent hand-washing.
"These routine precautions can go a long way in protecting your health and the health of those around you," she said.
As of June 25, there have been 1,294 confirmed cases of H1N1 virus and 19 related deaths in California, according to the state Department of Health.
According to the HHSA, there have been 392 confirmed cases of swine flu in San Diego County and three deaths.