The KPBS Radio Reading Service broadcasts the readings of newspapers, books, and magazines to those with low vision, blindness, and other impairments. The Reading Service is available 24 hours a day over a private audio channel, and online via audio webstream.
There are a number of resources available for sight- and print-impaired individuals to access news and information. This is a partial list.
LINKS TO LOCAL NEWSPAPERS ON-DEMAND:
- The LA Times on Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/latimes
- San Diego Union-Tribune, go to https://enewspaper.sandiegouniontribune.com
- Highlight the article you want to hear, then click on the "Read Aloud" icon (top center of page)
- The San Diego Union-Tribune is also available as an Alexa skill (Ask Alexa for the San Diego Union-Tribune)
OTHER ONLINE RESOURCES FOR THE SIGHT AND PRINT-IMPAIRED:
- National Federation of the Blind: nfb.org/nfbnewsline
- National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped / Library of Congress: www.loc.gov/nls/braille-audio-reading-materials/
- Accessible World / Helping Hands for the Blind: accessibleworld.org
- Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired: lighthouse-sf.org
- American Council of the Blind /ACB Radio: www.acbradio.org
- Accessible Media, Inc. (AMI): www.ami.ca/about-ami
- Insight Radio / Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB): www.insightradio.co.uk/
Some KPBS Radio Reading Service programming is made available courtesy of the IAAIS Program Share. Learn more about IAAIS.