Radio Reading Service
The KPBS Radio Reading Service broadcasts the readings of newspapers, books, and magazines to those with low vision, blindness, and other impairments. The Reading Service is available 24 hours a day over a private audio channel, and online via audio webstream.
Radio Reading Service Stream
This service is intended solely for individuals who cannot read conventional print due to a disability. Ineligible listeners risk infringing on copyright laws, and KPBS Radio Reading Service is not responsible for any violations that may occur. Our service may not be redistributed without our written consent. By clicking below, you agree with these conditions.
There are a number of resources available for sight- and print-impaired individuals to access news and information. This is a partial list.
LINKS TO LOCAL NEWSPAPERS ON-DEMAND:
- The LA Times on Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/latimes
- San Diego Union-Tribune, go to https://enewspaper.sandiegouniontribune.com
- Highlight the article you want to hear, then click on the "Read Aloud" icon (top center of page)
- The San Diego Union-Tribune is also available as an Alexa skill (Ask Alexa for the San Diego Union-Tribune)
OTHER ONLINE RESOURCES FOR THE SIGHT AND PRINT-IMPAIRED:
- National Federation of the Blind: nfb.org/nfbnewsline
- National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped / Library of Congress: www.loc.gov/nls/braille-audio-reading-materials/
- Accessible World / Helping Hands for the Blind: accessibleworld.org
- Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired: lighthouse-sf.org
- American Council of the Blind /ACB Radio: www.acbradio.org
- Accessible Media, Inc. (AMI): www.ami.ca/about-ami
- Insight Radio / Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB): www.insightradio.co.uk/
Some KPBS Radio Reading Service programming is made available courtesy of the IAAIS Program Share. Learn more about IAAIS.