Lark Rise to Candleford

Airs Friday, June 12, 2009 at 9:30 p.m. on KPBS TV

Above: Laura Timmins is settling into life at the Post Office and sometimes feels more like a girl from Candleford than the hamlet girl she was brought up to be.

The series stars Julia Sawalha, Olivia Hallinan, Dawn French, Brendan Coyle and Mark Heap in Bill Gallagher's adaptation of Flora Thompson's charming memoir of her Oxfordshire childhood. In this episode, Laura Timmins says goodbye to her friends and family in Lark Rise to start her first job at the Post Office in the nearby town of Candleford. Postmistress Dorcas Lane gives her a warm welcome, but her loyalties are soon divided over a dispute at Lark Rise about payment for the delivery of telegrams. Watch behind-the-scenes video and discover more about Flora Thompson, the author of "Lark Rise To Candleford."

Comments

goodygoodson | January 17, 2010 at 6:33 p.m. ― 4 years, 3 months ago

Where is Candleford to Lark Rise tonight? Sunday, January 17, 6pm, I'm all settled in to watch my favorite series and a Spanish Movie--Brise--I think, came on and I was soooooo disppointed! When will it be back? Mr Brown is not married yet -- nor Laura --- nor Dorcas. I centainly hope it will be back next week. I have never written to any radio or TV station before but I feel very strongly about this series and I hope it returns.
Please let me know.
Thanks, Dr. Goody Goodson
goodeee@gmail.com

ftess3 | January 24, 2010 at 2:44 p.m. ― 4 years, 2 months ago

As a rule, these days, Lark Rise ti Candleford is on (when it is shown) on Sundays at 6:00 p.m.--- not close enough to prime time. Last spring and summer, it was on on Fridays at 9:30 p.m.--much better. I wish there could be more publicity for this outstanding series. That is the greatest drawback to having no KPBS monthly magazine any longer. The best part of the magazine, as far as I was concerned, were the Highlights section and usually, the feature article. Because there was no notice of any sort (at least not that I saw), I didn't realize KPBS had begun showing Series Two of Lark Rise..I am now rewatching Series ! on DVD which the Public Library fortunately carries, but I missed at least 3 episodes of Series 2.
Please, please KPBS--repeat it and put it on at a better time--not all of us have DVRS or Tivos.

ftess3 | January 24, 2010 at 2:46 p.m. ― 4 years, 2 months ago

As a rule, these days, Lark Rise to Candleford is on (when it is shown) on Sundays at 6:00 p.m.--- not close enough to prime time. Last spring and summer, it was on on Fridays at 9:30 p.m.--much better. I wish there could be more publicity for this outstanding series. That is the greatest drawback to having no KPBS monthly magazine any longer. The best part of the magazine, as far as I was concerned, were the Highlights section and usually, the feature article. Because there was no notice of any sort (at least not that I saw), I didn't realize KPBS had begun showing Series Two of Lark Rise..I am now rewatching Series ! on DVD which the Public Library fortunately carries, but I missed at least 3 episodes of Series 2.

fanofpbs | March 15, 2010 at 11:24 a.m. ― 4 years, 1 month ago

We miss Lark Rise, also. Please bring it back.

kawsd | May 16, 2010 at 8:20 p.m. ― 3 years, 11 months ago

Why don't you replay serial shows like this some other time during the week, sometimes DVR's fail to record and you are stuck with missing and episode.

Jennifer Robinson, KPBS Staff | May 17, 2010 at 11:46 a.m. ― 3 years, 11 months ago

I do see episodes coming up at 6 p.m. on Sunday, May 23rd:
Pearl is in a state of panic. She has received a dressmaking commission which could save her ailing business, but without Ruby, there is no way she can do the work in time. So when Enid, a talented seamstress, arrives in Candleford looking for a job, it seems Pearl's prayers have been answered.

and Sunday, May 30th:
When the Lark Rise school loses its teacher, Emma steps in and discovers a talent she never knew she had. But Margaret also covets the role of schoolteacher, and the two women become rivals for the job.

jrpcs | July 12, 2010 at 9:05 a.m. ― 3 years, 9 months ago

The Larkrise to Candleford Series at 6 PM Sunday...left off with a cliffhanger of the Post Office being threatened on 7/4/10....then the following week we shift back to the very first episode of this long series with no warning! What gives? Shouldn't there be a notice to viewers as to when they can pick up the series where it left off and why it is not continuing (i.e. new season, etc.)? Very poor customer experience here.

Bob Kanish, KPBS Staff | July 12, 2010 at 1:23 p.m. ― 3 years, 9 months ago

To jrpcs and all other viewers who enjoy Lark Rise to Candleford, I want to give you an update regarding our broadcasting of this series. So far, 34 episodes of Lark Rise to Candleford have been produced, and KPBS has aired all of them. According to our Rep at the BBC, they will be producing new episodes which we will have access to sometime after the beginning of 2011. Once we have more specific information about when we can broadcast these new episodes after they are produced, we likely will include announcements around the repeating episodes so viewers will know when to tune in for the new ones.

From your comment, and other calls we have received, I see that it would have been helpful for our viewers if we had included some sort of announcement after the July 4 broadcast that new episodes will be available next year. It is important to us that our viewers, listeners and members have the most positive experience with us as possible, so I will be sure to bring your feedback to the attention of our Programming team.

kawsd | July 20, 2010 at 5:31 p.m. ― 3 years, 9 months ago

I appreciate your wish that viewers have the most positive experience, while you are talking to the programing team, can you discuss replaying episode at another time during the week?

alb7039 | May 8, 2011 at 6:48 p.m. ― 2 years, 11 months ago

It's now May 2011 - when are new Larkrise to Candleford programs going to start? I've seen the past episodes over and over....I'm hooked....now frustrated waiting for more episodes.

Forgot your password?