Supporters Of Mayor Bob Filner Rally For Due Process

Evening Edition

Aired 8/20/13 on KPBS News.

Dozens of supporters of San Diego Mayor Bob Filner staged a rally outside City Hall while the mayor was several blocks away in a closed meeting at the U.S. Attorney's office.

Dozens of supporters of San Diego Mayor Bob Filner staged a rally on Monday outside City Hall while the mayor was several blocks away in a closed meeting at the U.S. Attorney's office.

They walked across the Civic Center Plaza singing "We Shall Overcome" as they held homemade signs that read "We forgive," and "It's wrong to deny civil rights."

Special Feature Read the Backstory

All of the accusations, statements and apologies from the key players in the developing story about allegations of sexual harassment in Mayor Bob Filner's office and calls from former mayoral supporters for his resignation.

The event was spearheaded by immigrant rights activist Enrique Morones and a handful of civil rights-based organizations that urged due process for the mayor.

David Gapp, an Air Force veteran said voters who elected Filner to office are entitled to hear both sides of the story.

"I fought for the constitution for 31 years," Gapp said. "I believe Mayor Filner has his right to justice as well.”

Ellen Nash said she supports the mayor because of his support of neighborhoods.

"I’m a District 4 resident, lifetime resident, been here all my life," Nash said, "and I’ve never seen a mayor like him come into office and commit to promises to rebuild our neighborhood, and I’ve already seen examples of it.“

Paul Carter said Filner is just a friendly, old-time politician.

"Maybe he went too far, and he went to treatment for that," Carter said. "But this is really about the developers losing control here."

Organizers of the Recall Bob Filner campaign continued their efforts at the edges of the pro-Filner rally. They need 102,000 valid signatures by Sept. 26 to get the recall bid on the ballot.

"I was out yesterday at a few events and everyone wanted to sign this petition," said Rachel Laing, communications director for the Recall Bob Filner campaign. "I didn’t have to tell them, I just had my T-shirt on and they said 'Where can I sign? I want this man out of office.'”

Comments

Missionaccomplished | August 20, 2013 at 8:36 a.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

""These joint community members of color, veterans, environmentalists, educators, women's rights, gays, civil rights, labor, human rights, unions, neighborhoods, immigration and many more -- we stand united in stopping the public mockery of our judicial system,'' Morones said. "

According to something I read yesterday, it also included religious groups. I heard NOTHING about women's rights groups (odd in this case) or gays. In fact, gays like editor Stampp are spearheading the recall, along with hyper-feminists and Teebrichers.

strata66 | August 20, 2013 at 8:54 a.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

The Women's League Of Peace And Justice attended the pro-Filner rally yesterday and cheered for DUE PROCESS FOR BOB.

Peking_Duck_SD | August 20, 2013 at 9:09 a.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

Misision, what do you mean gays are spearheading the recall ?

One gay ?

I personally find Corbin distasteful and I'm not sure why he has joined this effort - possibly a back room deal or possibly to get his 15 minutes.

But when you say "gays" are spearheading this, can you tell me which gays besides that one man ????

Peking_Duck_SD | August 20, 2013 at 9:43 a.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

Here is the problem I have with the due process argument:

I was all for due process in the beginning when the accusations were just hearsay.

But, since then we have had:
- numerous women, most seem credible, one with email evidence have come forward
- Bob admitted to treating women with disrespect
- Bob checked himself into therapy and admitted he need help

This to me seems enough evidence to suggest he is inappropriate to women.

I like Bob's policies and the direction he was taking the city.

I think a better argument for his supporters would be that his policies are solid and good for the city and he is in therapy and ha apologized so we should give him a second chance with zero tolerance if he does anything like this again.

That seems like a more honest argument to me than "due process" a this point.

Now certainly he deserves due process for the case that has been filed by Ms Allred, but as far as staying in office I think he has already admitted enough to justify stepping down.

There is also the problem that even if Bob was to a point where he would not engage in this behavior further, the scandal has rendered him ineffective.

His policies which is the key reason to keep him around will not be implemented because city hall is so dysfunctional now because of the scandal.

I sympathize with Bob's supporters and I am very scared for the future because I don't see someone who shares his progressive ideals on the horizon to take his place.

But I also have zero tolerance for harrasent, and even though I like him as mayor, I have to demand he resigns because nobody who subjects people to repeated sexual harassment should be left on the job, regardless of what that job is.

I think Bob is a good guy, I think he does have a personal problem.

Possibly a sex addiction he can't control.

I do think this is something he needs to take care of on his own time so the city can get back to business.

I wish Bon all the best, but I hope he resigns and spares our community from the costly, partisan sham that is this "recall".

I stand by my words: I will NOT sign the current recall petition.

Bob needs to do the right thing and step down to shut up these recall cockroaches like Pallamary.

Missionaccomplished | August 20, 2013 at 9:54 a.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

Strata, that is good to know. Obviuosly though in the extreme minority!

Missionaccomplished | August 20, 2013 at 9:56 a.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

Duckster, is his readership a small readership? How long do you think he could keep a local publiction afloat if he had a small leadership??? And what about the CDM supporters???

Peking_Duck_SD | August 20, 2013 at 10:08 a.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

Mission, I read his publication sometimes that doesn't mean I agree with him about the recall.

As far as CDM, I'd be willing to bet more LGBT people voted for Bob than for Carl.

The ones I know certainly did!

Anon11 | August 20, 2013 at 11:26 a.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

Filner is guilty, admittedly.

But the women need to answer the hard questions, like why they didn't contact a superior or a police officer if these incidents were so bad? Or why they waited until Filner went against the political status quo to architect this scandal..

These questions most likely won't be answered honestly until made to, under sworn testimony with the threat of a perjury charge for being dishonest.

The whole thing stinks. Due process is crucial because it is the most realistic avenue towards informing the public in the most comprehensive way possible. Let the women explain themselves, and then crucify Filner. It's the American way.

CarlosDangler | August 20, 2013 at 12:09 p.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

Filner is not a trustworthy leader. His motto should be 'Do as I see Not as I do'. I am shocked at the apologists who continue to defend this guy. Check this link out. Wake up San Diego!

CarlosDangler | August 20, 2013 at 12:11 p.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

Direct link to video

Anon11 | August 20, 2013 at 12:17 p.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

Defending due process is not the same as defending Filner. Some people....

MarineRoom | August 20, 2013 at 1:20 p.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

Mission:
Quaff not the kool-aid of thine enemy! I agree they are attempting to guilt or coopt anti-Filner statements from the two groups you mention, using basic threatening and ad hominem techniques...if you don't denounce him, you will be unmasked as a villain too...but I would not say that has been particularly successful, especially after the initial outcry was followed by milder and milder examples of goofy behavior.

They are also trying to scare anyone else who has a public life into joining their cause, but so far most have begun to distance themselves and let those who actually care --the money people -- do their thing.

MarineRoom | August 20, 2013 at 1:22 p.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

Anon

Three cheers for the American Way! I agree with the first part, anyhow. With the second: sometimes we do, sometimes we don't.

MarineRoom | August 20, 2013 at 1:30 p.m. ― 1 year, 4 months ago

There were maybe 150 at each rally. That gets translated by mainstream media into "hundreds" for the pro-recall rally and "dozens" for the pro-Mayor rally. Amusing. Of courses technically, 480 persons could be a collection of dozens. Or 4800...

CarlosDangler | August 21, 2013 at 9:20 p.m. ― 1 year, 3 months ago

Quaff the coolaid?

This is 2013.

You may want to quaff the vitamin water going forward.... and ease up on the THC and hallucinogens. Mega-dose on the water solubles too.. recommend you dose age accordingly. You'll feel better. And perhaps you'll think clearer.

Peace out.