When Does End Of Life Begin?
About The Series
Everyone is familiar with the high-profile and politically charged question, “When does life begin?” But as our friends and family members live longer and survive what once were commonly fatal ailments, another question takes center stage. When does end-of-life begin?
It may carry just as much emotional and political baggage.
The KPBS and I-Newsource Investigations Desk is embarking on a months-long examination of that question medically, financially, politically -- and just as importantly -- personally.
San Diego is ground zero for this inquiry because San Diego Hospice, California’s largest hospice provider and a pioneer in the field, has been discharging patients, laying off workers and cutting back on expenses as the federal government breathes down its neck. Medicare has been auditing San Diego Hospice for two years, and the results could mean the hospice must reimburse the government millions of dollars in payments found to be ineligible for coverage.
What does this mean for you and for your loved ones who are in fragile health?
Through 2013, we will be answering that question through our intensive reporting and with your help. We want to hear your feedback and your stories at email@example.com.
Hospice Under Scrutiny
KPBS Midday Edition
- Truce Declared In San Diego Hospice Bankruptcy Battle
- Drama Unfolds In San Diego Hospice Bankruptcy
- Medicare Stakes Its Multimillion-Dollar Claim In Hospice Bankruptcy
- Inspectors Visited San Diego Hospice At Least 15 Times In Two Years
- Serious Questions About Patient Care At San Diego Hospice
- San Diego Hospice Cared for Hundreds Of Ineligible Patients
- San Diego Hospice Failed To Report Patient Data To State
- San Diego Hospice Needs $2 Million To Care For Dying Patients
- Fired Nurse Files Lawsuit Against San Diego Hospice
- 'It Was A Beautiful Ending To A Beautiful Life'
- Medicare Audit Forces San Diego Hospice To Close
- Scripps Health To Begin Offering Hospice After San Diego Hospice Cutbacks
- San Diego Hospice Files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
- San Diego Hospice Moving Operations
- San Diego Hospice Sees More Layoffs, Hospital Closure
- San Diego Hospice Lays Off Staff, Cuts Services
- San Diego Hospice May Have To Cut 200 Workers
- How Mom’s Death Changed My Thinking About End-of-Life Care