DHS Announces $20-million to Improve Otay Border
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
The Secretary of the US Department of Homeland Security announced today (Wednesday) that the federal government will spend $20 million to improve the Otay Mesa border crossing. KPBS Reporter Amy Isackson has the story.
Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano says funding improvements at the Otay Mesa Port of Entry and at other border crossings will help keep the country safe.
She says the money will also help create jobs in California and along the southwest border.
The $20 million for Otay Mesa comes from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
Napolitano says, in all, more than $400 million of recovery money will fund various projects along the US Mexico border.
San Diego was Napolitano's first stop in a three-day trip to the border region and Mexico.
Stopping guns and money from being smuggled south top her agenda for the visit.
The trip comes as the Obama Administration has made working with Mexico to combat drug trafficking a priority.
President Obama announced last week, among other measures, he will send nearly 500 more federal agents to the border.
Amy Isackson, KPBS news.
Please stay on topic and be as concise as possible. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Community Discussion Rules. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.