Originally published October 8, 2010 at 2:43 p.m., updated October 8, 2010 at 4:15 p.m.
Mission Bay High School is no longer on lockdown after a student reportedly brought a vial of mercury on the school bus on his way to campus Friday.
San Diego Unified School District officials said Mission Bay High School was put on lockdown and all those who were exposed were evaluated..
Mercury poisoning can result from exposure or inhalation to soluble forms of the silvery-white metal. Seven students were exposed to the mercury in one of the classrooms.
School officials say the seven students were quarantined and decontaminated. They show no signs of illness.
The school bus the student took is also being decontaminated.
Students in buildings near the exposure site were evacuated.
The kids were sent to other areas on campus. The other students are at the school, which is in lockdown.
Parents were told not to pick up their kids until the lockdown has lifted.
School officials are not revealing the name of the student who brought the mercury to campus. They say the student faces disciplinary action.