Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Residents Can Take Simple Measures to Avoid CO Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control. The colorless, odorless and tasteless gas can reach dangerously

Residents Can Take Simple Measures to Avoid CO Poisoning

Alison St John (Guest Host): What's the leading cause of accidental poisoning in the United States? It's carbon monoxide poisoning. More than 40,000 people a year have to seek medical treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning, and 500 die. The most dangerous thing about carbon monoxide is it is a colorless, odorless gas, so you often don't know its there till you start to feel the symptoms.

It's such a threat that California is launching its first carbon monoxide awareness week this week, and we're here to increase awareness.

You Can Prevent Carbon Monoxide Exposure

Do have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

Do install a battery-operated CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 9-1-1.

Do seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed or nauseous.

Don't use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, garage or near a window.

Don't run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.

Don't burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.

Don't heat your house with a gas oven.

( Source: Centers for Disease Control )


Guest