Second San Diego Coronavirus Patient Recovers, Discharged From Hospital
Tuesday, February 25, 2020
Photo by Tarryn Mento
The second San Diego patient confirmed to have the new coronavirus has recovered and was discharged from the hospital, UC San Diego Health announced Monday.
The person was among the second group of American evacuees from Wuhan, China to arrive at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar earlier this month. All evacuees have since completed their federally mandated quarantine period and have left the base.
At this time, no other patients are being treated for confirmed or possible cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, UC San Diego Health said in a statement
“The last few weeks have presented numerous challenges,” Patty Maysent, chief executive officer, UC San Diego Health said in the statement. “Our skills, strengths and stamina have been tested, and I am proud to say we met the challenges across the board, throughout our health care system and across our broader communities."
The first person to contract COVID-19 while under quarantine at MCAS Miramar was released last Wednesday. Both patients were treated in isolation at UCSD Medical Center in Hillcrest.
While there are no signs COVID-19 is spreading in San Diego, the county Board Of Supervisors voted unanimously last Wednesday to extend a local and public health emergency declarations for 30 days.
The declarations were made Feb. 14 out of an “abundance of caution,” Supervisor Nathan Fletcher said at the time. County health officials said the declarations do not mean that there are increased risks to the general public at this time.
That being said, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention believes the United States will be hit by COVID-19 at some point in the next year.
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.