Worse Than War

Airs Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 9 p.m. on KPBS TV

Above: This program is an exploration of the nature of genocide, ethnic cleansing and large-scale mass murder in our time. Pictured: Coffins of recently identified victims of the Srebrenica massacre.

"Worse Than War," based on Daniel Jonah Goldhagen's book of the same title, is the first documentary to step back and focus on the general phenomenon of genocide -- offering insights about its dimensions, its patterns and causes, and its tragic role in politics and human affairs. Goldhagen travels, listens to witnesses, and confronts perpetrators in nine countries around the world, bringing viewers on an unprecedented journey of insight and analysis.

Video

The Making Of 'Worse Than War'

Above: Based on Daniel Goldhagen’s book of the same title, this film is an exploration of the nature of genocide, ethnic cleansing and large-scale mass murder in our time. Goldhagen speaks with victims, perpetrators, witnesses, religious leaders, politicians, diplomats, historians, humanitarian aid workers and journalists.

Comments

mr | April 14, 2010 at 9:50 p.m. ― 4 years, 3 months ago

Great program, but why didn't the program even mention the mass killings in the US of the indigenous populations along with some of the other historical precedents? Was that too politically sensitive?

Kiara2006 | April 14, 2010 at 11:08 p.m. ― 4 years, 3 months ago

I really appreciate this program. It was admirable and brave of Daniel Goldhagen to embark in this journey. I knew this reality yet it was lacking a presence quality. Now it is very real. I do love the sentence, we should act as if those people were "our daughter, son, sister, brother, mother or father". So simple, yet very powerful. Where can I buy the DVD?

K.

ps: I agree with mr. the mass killing of indigenous population in the US requires and deserve its own documentary.

jabuchanjx | April 15, 2010 at 12:20 a.m. ― 4 years, 3 months ago

I am glad a caught this program. These are the things going on that you do not hear of or they may report a small segment and smooth it over as though all has been taken care of. As the UN states"any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group." Is that not also the "Characteristics" that form the HATE crimes and for those we give the death penalty?
With the economy so bad, and all the hate in the world, Anti Christ isn't coming, he's here!

jabuchanjx | April 15, 2010 at 1:06 a.m. ― 4 years, 3 months ago

While I agree that the indigenous population of the US were wronged, (Indians) we were not the US as of yet. It was the Americas. State by state, not a union as of the time. What was done to the people does fall under the greed and lust of power man kind has, and shows just what he/she is capable of doing to achieve it. However, the most life lost was do to epidemic diseases. While the loosing of one life is by far wrong. Loosing 4000 on the trail of tears is nothing when comparing to the accounts of "October 1937, Dominican President Rafael Trujillo ordered the execution of the Haitian population living within the borderlands with Haiti. The violence resulted in the killing of 20,000 to 30,000 Haitian civilians over a span of approximately five days"
Or Hitler's systematically killed somewhere between 11 and 14 million people, including about six million Jews. He wanted nothing but blonde hair blue eyed people. And he had brown hair and eyes!! LOL

Jennifer Robinson, KPBS Staff | April 15, 2010 at 9:29 a.m. ― 4 years, 3 months ago

Kiara2006 - you can purchase a copy of the DVD through PBS here: http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=4057207

AGUISANDA | April 16, 2010 at 10:14 a.m. ― 4 years, 3 months ago

I watched this program and listened to the author, and he kept saying how could this happen, I could see this happening again all over the United States with the ongoing problem of "ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION" all over the USA, the pressure of the economy, over crowding non-English speaking children in the school system, the living standards that illegals bring to over crowding in the housing systems, broken down cars, broken down big rig, non paying emergency use by illegals, uninsured and non-licensed illegals, AND YOU ASK YOURSELF HOW THIS COULD HAPPEN!!!.....I see the future genocide, because it is already as stated in this program in the minds of people!!! This is how it could happen again, but I pray that it doesn't. Daniel needs to come visit Southern California and experience perhaps what could be the beginning of a possible genocide. This is just my observation.

Kiara2006 | April 17, 2010 at 3:08 p.m. ― 4 years, 3 months ago

Hello Aguisanda,

I am interested in your point of you. Could you be so kind as to elaborate further?
I am a naturalized American citizen. I know many illegal immigrants who are trying the hardest to make a living, escaping a situation of extreme poverty. They are good people without a better choice, longing to go back home to visit their families, yet the can not. I would be extremely unhappy and far less productive if I could not visit my family. However, I see the problem in Southern California. What should you and I do to promote a different and better understanding of this circumstance? "It take a good man not to do or say anything, for Evil to prevail".

K.

grotz | April 21, 2010 at 8:28 a.m. ― 4 years, 3 months ago

I appreciated Daniel Goldhagen's statements-these atrocities are started by one person, the person has learned that nothing will be done to stop them. To me, this is the essence of his message. The montra NEVER AGAIN is a lie. Daniel Goldhagen addresses that. Who are we as human beings if we can not even come up with a way to stop these atrocities?