ADD And Loving It?!

Airs Sunday, August 31, 2014 at 10 a.m. on KPBS TV

Above: A photo of actor/comedian Rick Green and Canadian comedy legend Patrick McKenna wearing ADHD t-shirts.

Actor Patrick McKenna is after the truth. "Everything you think you know about ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) and ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) is wrong." In this uplifting and entertaining documentary he talks to researchers, specialists and doctors about ADD and ADHD. He also chats with ordinary Canadians & Americans who are directly dealing with the challenges of this common problem.

Give at the $240 membership level and receive the "ADD & Loving It!" Master Package including the "ADD & Loving It!" DVD with bonus material, a 3-DVD set of "ADDeep Sleep," "Facing the World," and "The Perfect Career For ADHD," the "ADD Stold My Car Keys" book, an "Inside an ADHD Mind" CD, and a pre-diagnosis workbook/booklet. This gift also includes enrollment in the myKPBS Savers Club plus additional online access to more than 130,000 merchant offers and printable coupons, as well as a KPBS License Plate Frame (if you're a new member). The "ADD & Loving It!" DVD only is available at $60.

Interwoven with these insights, Patrick shares his own life story and his personal struggle with undiagnosed and untreated ADHD, and, now, his success in living with adult ADD. Though the suffering is real, Patrick is interested in the good news. When ADD is diagnosed and treated, life can become very sweet. A liability can become an asset.

As one expert explains, "This is not a diagnosis to fear. This is a diagnosis to understand and embrace."

The program amuses and amazes us by actually presenting the facts-what is known for sure. Patrick and director and co-host Rick Green lead viewers through a lively romp about the symptoms of adult ADD and the five keys to turning ADD from a hidden handicap that sabotages your life to an ally that allows you to soar. The production techniques are fantastic! Patrick laughs at the lies, busts the myths, and finally takes on the most controversial aspect of ADD - medication!

TotallyADD is on Facebook, and you can follow @TotallyADD on Twitter.

Video

Trailer: ADD And Loving It?!

Above: The film that started it all, "ADD & Loving It?!" starring comedian and actor Patrick McKenna. Watch as Patrick gets his own diagnosis and learns from top experts about Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. This ground-breaking documentary is a blend of humour, hope, and science that dispels common myths about ADD/ADHD.

Comments

tomharten | December 12, 2010 at 1:01 p.m. ― 3 years, 8 months ago

There were some intelligent comments, from some of the people who were briefly featured. However, the entire production was ruined by those two men with their obnoxious and lame 6th grade attempts at "humor." The decidely UN-intelligent manner of those two made the entire production so annoying as to be unwatchable.

This is one of the worse productions you have aired.

joe | December 13, 2010 at 12:22 p.m. ― 3 years, 8 months ago

( )

castrobel | December 21, 2010 at 6:32 p.m. ― 3 years, 8 months ago

how can I get a dvd or a cd of this program? thanks!
/>castrobel@charter.net>

ra2078 | December 27, 2010 at 8:02 p.m. ― 3 years, 8 months ago

Ref: ADD and Loving It
Can not thank you enough for this most informative program. Over the past 20 years I have been seeking therapy for answers to a dysfunctional life and this program seemed to mirror my life to a T. Now at the age of 63 I understand and will be able to make positive changes in my life with this new knowledge of what drives me and try to steer in a different direction. The program has profoundly changed my life. I was so relieved after viewing the program and felt vindicated for living a life so out of the norm thinking that I had some kind of incurable problem or just stupid. Thank you a million times for giving me peace with this problem. Now I can seek a professional in the field of how to deal with and live with ADHD and live a happier and more focused life.

If there is any way this message can get to Patrick McKenna to voice my thanks to him personally I would appreciate it. I think the program was produced with just the right amount of humor and was a very good touch indeed. Oh My God, this program just laid it all out so well it was just incredible.
Roger Simon

fletchjax | January 7, 2011 at 4:25 p.m. ― 3 years, 7 months ago

I think this program was excellent. I have been searching for it to air again so I can be sure everyone in my family and household watches it. It was extremely informative and I didn't mind the humor at all. It actually made me be "less afraid" of finding out more about it if indeed someone in my family may have this. It prompted me to investigate and research more, before years go by, so that any treatments, adjustments or just acceptance and understanding can be reached sooner rather than later. It was much better to have a variety of formats such as the humor, the husband/wife comedy team as well as the experts information, rather than a more scientific, clinical description of the condition. THANK YOU for offering this program. I found it useful, insightful and educational.

GinaPera | April 10, 2011 at 3:17 p.m. ― 3 years, 4 months ago

Thank you to KPBS for not only airing this important documentary but featuring Rick Green live in your studios.

As the author of a book featured in the pledge package (Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.), I know first-hand the tremendous inroads this program has made in Adult ADHD awareness nationwide. Every day I hear from viewers who first learned of Adult ADHD from this show or from viewers so grateful to have a show they can refer others to for an entertaining, non-threatening education. The entire production and PBS airings nationwide have been nothing short of a godsend for millions.

It is rare that a station has the opportunity to air a program that can create such dramatically live-changing improvements in viewers' lives. Kudos to KPBS for doing so.

I even flew down from San Francisco to help staff the pledge phones, joined by local volunteers from the San Diego chapter of CHADD, the national non-profit serving the ADHD community. Look for contact information at the website: http://chadd.org

Your staff was wonderful! Thank you again!

Gina Pera, author
Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?

Missionaccomplished | April 10, 2011 at 11:15 p.m. ― 3 years, 4 months ago

Oooops! I saw this on a link to the Lumet obit and thought it was about the makers of CLOVERFIED!

randolphslinky | April 11, 2011 at 8:12 a.m. ― 3 years, 4 months ago

Where can get some of those AD/HD T-shirts? One of those would look great on me as I bang my cow bell.

GinaPera | April 16, 2011 at 12:40 p.m. ― 3 years, 4 months ago

Discussion forums and products are available at the website http://TotallyADD.com

The DVD and more are available from KPBS as part of a pledge package. It's a great deal!

chriscormell | June 6, 2011 at 6 p.m. ― 3 years, 2 months ago

Thank you so much for doing this show! I loved it and it made me realize i need to dive deeper into it.I was diagnosed about 5 years ago and i was put on methlyn to help ,it helped a little but that was the end of it.I was so far off the charts that they did an I.Q test because the counselor/doctor wanted to find out how i have been able to function :) I did not seek counseling or go into to it any further,i figured that was as good as it can get.But i plan on trying things now cause there is help and man-o-man do i need it..You guys nailed it and i laughed the whole show.
Thanks again!!!

Jackpost | February 13, 2012 at 7:35 a.m. ― 2 years, 6 months ago

Great documentary. I just watched it. There is a cure of ADHD however. It is spiritual enlightenment. When my son was diagnosed with ADHD in 09 I realized that I had ADD as well. I reacted as described in the program. At the time the economy wasn't so good and I was laid off. I also experimented with stimulant medication which lead to a full blown mania and psychosis. I've never had a history of serious metal health issues before (except anxiety and depression). Suddenly I was slapped with a Bipolar 1 label and given drugs that I wouldn't take (Zyprexa). After months of flights into mysticism, researching and networking with other "crazies", I journeyed from Nietzsche to eastern mysticism, esoteric orders and the works. In my selfish pursuit of self I quit my job thinking that I was going to conquer the world. That ended in medication and a major depression. Since then I've grown gradually and humbly. I won't put my family before my selfishness again. Selfishness just means "ego" or false self.

I'm on a low dose of Lithium and after this spiritual emergency have come to find my true nature, free in every way. I have a great job, I'm into acting and community programs and have become a Freemason. I am not chasing anymore. There is a calmness of mind and a realization that as a "Roman I shall do as Romans do" and I will help my community in what ever way I can to bring in the shift in consciousness we are destined for. We ADDers are here for a reason and we've always been here for a reason. We pay a visit now and again when the world needs a "hero". That's why the gene has stood the test of time.

Early on in my ADD/ADHD research I read that an author traveling in India met with Drs. there and they told him that "ADD" actually means "close to enlightenment" and that its a western label. That's what grabbed me and I never looked back. Its very important to stay "current" or present. The ego hates that and without anxiety may we carry on as soldiers in the army of "God" or what ever name you prefer. Our origins are truth and love...lets make some original art! Confidence is my goal with my son. Like the documentary said...he won't have to go through what I did as a child.