Entertainment News: Golden Globe Nominations

A Lot of White Males Nominated

Above: George Clooney leads the cast of Alexander Payne's "The Descendants."

More award news: The Golden Globes go Hollywood, which is no surprise for the Hollywood Foreign Press.

The small but influential (and some say easily influenced) Hollywood Foreign Press announced its nominations today and mainstream Hollywood fare like "The Help, "Hugo," "War Horse," and "Moneyball" top the list. This year also reveals a lot of films focused on white males both in front of and behind the camera.

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) is a non-profit organization made up of international journalists based in Southern California. The HFPA has about 90 member and is best known for their annual Golden Globe Awards, held in January each year. The 69th Golden Globes will be held on January 15.

Here are the film nominations. You can find the TV nominations here.

Best Drama

"The Artist"

"Bridesmaids"

"Midnight in Paris"

"My Week with Marilyn"

Best Animated Film

"Rango"

"The Adventures of Tintin"

"Puss in Boots"

"Winnie the Pooh"

"Arthur Christmas"

Best Actor in a Drama

George Clooney, "The Descendants"

Brad Pitt, "Moneyball"

Ryan Gosling, "The Ides of March"

Michael Fassbender, "Shame"

Leonardo DiCaprio, "J. Edgar"

Joseph Gordon-Levitt nabs a Golden Globe nom for "50/50."

Summit Entertainment

Above: Joseph Gordon-Levitt nabs a Golden Globe nom for "50/50."

Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical

Jean Dujardin, "The Artist"

Brendan Gleeson, "The Guard"

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, "50/50"

Ryan Gosling, "Crazy, Stupid, Love."

Owen Wilson, "Midnight in Paris"

Best Supporting Actor
 in a Motion Picture

Kenneth Branagh, "My Week With Marilyn"

Albert Brooks, "Drive"

Jonah Hill, "Moneyball"

Christopher Plummer, "Beginners"

Viggo Mortensen, "A Dangerous Method"

Best Actress in a Drama

Glenn Close, "Albert Nobbs"

Viola Davis, "The Help"

Rooney Mara, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"

Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady"

Tilda Swinton, "We Need to Talk About Kevin"

Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy

Jodie Foster, "Carnage"

Charlize Theron, "Young Adult"

Kristen Wiig, "Bridesmaids"

Michelle Williams, "My Week with Marilyn"

Kate Winslet, "Carnage"

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture

Shailene Woodley, "The Descendants"

Octavia Spencer, "The Help"

Janet McTeer, "Albert Nobbs"

Berenice Bejo, "The Artist"

Jessica Chastain, "The Help"

Best Director

Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"

George Clooney, "The Ides of March"

Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"

Alexander Payne, "The Descendants"

Martin Scorsese, "Hugo"

Comments

Missionaccomplished | December 15, 2011 at 12:06 p.m. ― 2 years, 11 months ago

The omission of Andy Serkis for RISE is a callous snub. And where is Demian Bechir who was recognized by his fellow SAG collegues for A BETTER LIFE?

Missionaccomplished | December 15, 2011 at 3:37 p.m. ― 2 years, 11 months ago

Other serious omissions are Nick Nolte (because a lot of people in Hollywood hate him) for the father in WARRIOR, the German actor Christoph Waltz in LIKE WATER FOR ELEPHANTS and Bailee Madison as the young daughter in DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Beth Accomando, KPBS Staff | December 15, 2011 at 5:11 p.m. ― 2 years, 11 months ago

There are simply too many omission to even begin to note.

The0ne | December 16, 2011 at 6:51 p.m. ― 2 years, 11 months ago

Just got back from watching The Descendants and while it is a good movie to watch I'm not entirely sure I agree with the nominations. I left the theater feeling perplexed more than anything. The movie gave me a sense of serenity due to the closeness of the story with my life thus far. It's well shot and scripted as well and everything points to a state of "subtle-ness" You really have to appreciate all the subtle development to enjoy this movie I think.

George does do a good job but then I think everyone did as well. On the other hand though I felt the movie lacking in depth for characters and story. The movie was predictable and one premise driven, even with the subtle developments of the character and family. Maybe being subtle in all areas except the affair is the problem for me.

Beth Accomando, KPBS Staff | December 20, 2011 at 4:52 a.m. ― 2 years, 11 months ago

I think THE DESCENDANTS is one of the year's best because it is well done but not flashy. It is all about the characters and coming to terms with loss. You may feel that it is predictable but I appreciate it because it gives us characters who are all flawed in various ways and in varying degrees.What makes dealing with loss here different is that there is so much that is unresolved and can never be fully resolved because one of the people involved is dead.

I really appreciate director Alexander Payne. But I wouldn't single out Clooney's work. I think acknowledging the ensemble is more apt.

Thanks for the comments.

jv333 | December 20, 2011 at 8:02 p.m. ― 2 years, 11 months ago

I hope "The Help" and "Bridesmaids" win something. Waiting to see "Iron Lady" ... "Hugo" should win something for visual effects.