SD City Council To Consider Plan For Accepting Miramar Landfill Bids
Monday, September 26, 2011
The San Diego City Council today will consider a controversial plan to accept bids for operating the Miramar Landfill, an idea that has drawn opposition from organized labor and environmentalists.
In a report to the City Council last week, the city's Independent Budget Analyst recommended approving the bidding plan only if it was specified that the winning bidder maintain current service levels, or enhance them. Such language is included throughout the city's so-called "managed competition'' program, but the IBA requested more specific direction for the landfill.
The IBA analyzes pending actions before the council and offers recommendations.
The bidding plan is going to the full City Council for the first time, following several contentious committee meetings earlier this year.
One of the leading opponents of the plan is Clare Crawford, executive director of the Center on Policy Initiatives, who said contracting out landfill operations was a bad idea.
"There are just too many risks for taxpayers, our environment and the services every household and business relies on,'' Crawford said.
She promised that community organizations would turn out in force to oppose the plan.
The city hopes to identify a winning bidder next year.
The first city function to go through the managed competition process, printing and publishing, was won by the division's employees.
The landfill on Convoy Street north of state Route 52 is on Navy property leased by the city of San Diego.
Please stay on topic and be as concise as possible. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Community Discussion Rules. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.