skip to main content

Listen

Read

Watch

Schedules

Programs

Events

Give

Account

Donation Heart Ribbon

Texas Boy Dies Of Flesh-Eating Bacteria While Vacationing In San Diego

A 7-year-old Texas boy who died while vacationing in San Diego with his family last month died of a flesh-eating bacterial infection, the county coroner's office announced today.

Tevita Alatini

Above: Tevita Alatini

Tevita Alatini of Spring, Texas, died July 10 at Rady Children's Hospital of bacterial necrotizing myositis, meaning the bacteria spread into muscle tissue, the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office said on its website.

Alatini was admitted to the hospital on July 9 after his family noticed a large red spot under his left arm while they were at Camp Pendleton's Lake O'Neill Recreational Park for a camping trip. The family initially took Alatini to the base's hospital but he was flown to the children's hospital after a base doctor diagnosed the boy with a severe infection.

Alatini died early the next morning.

It remained unclear early today how the boy might have contracted the infection but according to the federal Centers for Disease Control, most cases occur randomly and are not linked to similar infections in others.

Comments

Avatar for user 'parcaira'

parcaira | August 30, 2012 at 10:42 p.m. ― 2 years ago

On 7/7/12, I happened to glance at the lake on the way to Del Mar Beach in Camp Pendleton. I told my husband that the lake looks so dangerous-people shouldn't go there. The water is so green. It's probably teeming with dangerous bacteria. And I was right. My husband remembered what I said in passing and told me after a week that someone got fatally sick at the lake. Today, the official cause is announced. I give credit to my B. S. in Public Health for noticing the seemingly harmless situation. So sad to hear the news about the boy.

( | suggest removal )