Medicare Open Enrollment Now Through December 7
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Aired 10/16/12 on KPBS Midday Edition.
David Sayen, Medicare's regional administrator for California.
• Compare your coverage with all of the options that are available in San Diego.
• 24 hour hotline: 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.
• A "Medicare & You 2013" handbook was mailed to people with Medicare in September.
• Get one-on-one help from the California Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program.
• If you have limited income and resources, you may be able to get Extra Help paying your prescription drug coverage costs. For more information, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/i1020 or call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213. TTY users should call 1-800-325-0778.
We've talked a lot about the future of Medicare during this election season. But right now, San Diegans on Medicare have some choices to make. The Medicare Open Enrollment period begins this week. That means people on Medicare can sign up for or switch their health and prescription drug plans.
David Sayen, Medicare's regional administrator for California says, "Expanded Medicare benefits under the health care law (the Affordable Care Act) continue to be available — including certain free preventive benefits, cancer screenings, and an annual wellness visit."
He says, the average premiums for 2013 for prescription drug coverage and Medicare health plans will remain stable.
"People who are in the “donut hole” in Medicare's prescription drug benefit will enjoy 53-percent discounts on covered brand-name drugs and 21-percent discounts on generic drugs," Sayen says.