Boy Scouts Considering Retreat From No-Gays Policy

The Boys Scouts of America is considering a dramatic change in its controversial policy of excluding gays as leaders and youth members.

Getty Images

Members of the Boy Scouts of America participate in pre-game ceremonies prior to the game between the Seattle Mariners and the Texas Rangers at Safeco Field on September 19, 2010 in Seattle, Washington.

Under the change being considered, the different religious and civic groups that sponsor Scout units would be able to decide for themselves how to address the issue - either maintaining an exclusion of gays or opening up their membership. The announcement of the possible change came Monday after years of protests over the policy - including petition campaigns that have prompted some corporations to suspend donations to the Boy Scouts.

Under the proposed change, said BSA spokesman Deron Smith, "the Boy Scouts would not, under any circumstances, dictate a position to units, members, or parents."

Comments

JeanMarc | January 28, 2013 at 11:39 a.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

Gee. How many parents would be comfortable with letting their young boys go on a camping trip and sharing a tent with homosexual men and boys?

Would you let your young daughter share a tent with a male scout leader?

Really123 | January 28, 2013 at 12:11 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

Pedophiles and Gays are not the same thing. Should fathers not spend time with daughters? I'd like to belive that when my dad and sister were together that he wasn't holding himslef back... either you want to have sex with children or you don't. Being Gay has no bearing.

JeanMarc | January 28, 2013 at 12:17 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, but would you send your little daughter off to camp with some adult men who are not her father?

JeanMarc | January 28, 2013 at 12:19 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

I was not talking about family members, really123, I was talking about scout leaders... two different things. Why don't you address the point I made? These are men who are sexually attracted to men, taking unrelated young boys camping.

It is the same as men taking unrelated young girls camping. It is just not appropriate, it is not allowed, and should not be allowed. I never implied that homosexuals are pedophiles...

davidciani | January 28, 2013 at 12:42 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

JeanMarc- Your argument is base upon the presupposition that men (regardless of sexual orientation) sexual predators. All you need to do is reverse the genders an you will see the problem: Would an unrelated female taking boys camping (or a lesbian with girls for that matter) be an issue?

Really123 | January 28, 2013 at 1:04 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

davidciani- according to JM's point I would say yes. I believe he is saying that any arrangement with coincindent sexual attraction should not be allowed.

So I'm thinking to myself, what would I do if I had a boy in the scouts and he was going on a camping trip? I thought it might be prudent to get to know the scout leader and others as well so I could make a character judgement. But, you know, that just wouldn't work because a pedophile knows how to manipulate trust of adults in order to spend unsupervised time with children.

They would stay hidden, not be out of closet. It seems a best bet would be to trust an "out" scout leader since they would be under special scrutiny by the population at large.

In truth, I wouldn't trust anybody, and I would not let my child be a boy scout. The pedophiles will be there whether or not gays can be included.

JeanMarc | January 28, 2013 at 1:10 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

Really123 - you are spot on. Your last paragraph is exactly how I feel. Actually, I agree with your entire post.

I would worry too much letting my children go with some adult even if I knew them fairly well. All to often the one that molests a child is a family friend or relative. Very sad and unfortunate that we have to be so careful, but that's that I guess.

RegularChristian | January 28, 2013 at 7:35 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

Finally! I knew the Scouts would come around. You just can't discriminate on the national stage anymore and not be seen as a bigot. Thank God.

JeanMarc | January 29, 2013 at 10:14 a.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

RegularChristian - So are you calling your bible, which "discriminates", according to you, a bitgot? Is God a bigot since he clearly prohibits homosexual behavior?

Questions_everywhere | January 29, 2013 at 10:55 a.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

Haha! You guys are something else. If you're not interested in letting your kids be part of the organization and do not trust anyone alone with your kids, then why are you commenting at all? If you don't believe that homosexuals are pedophiles than what's the issue?

I think davidciani had a great point which was not really taken seriously. Do you have the same fear about a women supervising boys, or gay women supervising girls? Assuming your straight non-pedo men, do you have trouble being around young girls?

JeanMarc | January 29, 2013 at 10:59 a.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes I would have a problem with female camp leaders taking my boys camping. How often do you hear of teacher-student sex scandals? It seems almost daily.

No, not all gays are pedos, not all adults are just waiting for their chance with a child. But since there is a chance of risk, it is not worth it. I don't want my son going camping with a woman, I don't want my daughter going camping with a man, better yet, I don't want my child going camping with anyone that is attracted to people of my child's gender. That is the real issue... I know 99.99% of the time it will be fine, but the devastating consequences of sexual abuse means I don't want to take that chance.

Missionaccomplished | January 29, 2013 at 11:56 a.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

Do the B of A actually ask this question on the application?

Questions_everywhere | January 29, 2013 at 12:13 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

I hear what you're saying JeanMarc, but something just doesn't make sense about this argument. Why would a pedo attract more attention to him or herself by being gay? Being attracted to a gender doesn't make one attracted to an age?

Also, if you aren't going to trust your kids with anyone, what difference does it make to you if the boys scouts allow their groups to decide if they are okay with gay participants?

Missionaccomplished | January 29, 2013 at 12:49 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

? EVERYWHERE, well . . . last election I worked the polls in Chula Vista. One of my co-workers was a female high school student from Mater Dei. After the polls close and everything is packed, counted, recounted and accounted for, the Precint Inspector has to delivery the materials accompanied by the touchscreen Inspector in the same vehicle. Well, the father of this girl, he doesn't want her to go!!! So I end up going even though that isn't part of my duties! Talk about paranoia! I mean what is this guy supposed to do to her in the car on the way to the collection center???

JeanMarc | January 29, 2013 at 3:12 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

Well sorry, I guess wanting to protect my children from harm makes me paranoid...

RegularChristian | January 29, 2013 at 6:10 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

My church ordains women and also gays and lesbians because God loves everyone equally.

Peking_Duck_SD | January 29, 2013 at 8:48 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

Don't the Boy Scouts do things other than camping?

And when they do go camping, I would imagine at least 2 adults would accompany the children, that just makes sense in these days of sex-offender obsessed America.

And not only for that reason, but the liability of someone else's kid getting hurt, bit by a rabid animal, getting lost, etc. would make any adult - pedophile or not - an idiot for agreeing to be a lone chaperone in the woods for a group of children.

It's not a gay or straight issue.

RegularChristian | January 30, 2013 at 7:15 a.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

Peking,

You're right. It's not a sexual issue. There are many gay men who camp with boys all the time, in and out of Boy Scouts. The only time there are problems is when there are pedophiles. Homophobic environments probably make the problem worse. Much better to be open minded about human sexuality and smart about the real problem rather than running around like Chicken Little. It took the Catholic Church about five hundred years to agree with Galileo.

Missionaccomplished | January 31, 2013 at 8:56 a.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

If your post was directed at me, John Mark, REASONABLE protection is always good and acceptable. If you're THAT worried abou it like this father at the polls, then DON'T let your child work the polls. Simple.

JeanMarc | January 31, 2013 at 10:30 a.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

RegualarChristian I am starting to suspect that you are not actually a Christian, but someone pretending to be one in order to troll people. Christianity and the Bible clearly, clearly condemn the homosexual lifestyle. No one can call themselves a Christian and condone homosexual behavior in any way. If you actually are a Christian, I suggest you read your bible...

RegularChristian | February 1, 2013 at 7:53 a.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

No it doesn't. Christianity teaches patience, love, tolerance and kindness.

I suspect you're a fundamentalist. Of course the Bible is full of errors. Why else would it allow slavery, war, discrimination, etc., etc.? Do you eat shellfish? Wear fur on Tuesday with leather? Come on. Don't cherry-pick your scripture to channel your anger. Relax. Life's good.

By the way, you don't have to be a fundamentalist to be a Christian. You just have to be baptized.

JeanMarc | February 1, 2013 at 2:17 p.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

When is the last time you read Romans? Why don't you take a look, if you even own a bible.

Peking_Duck_SD | February 2, 2013 at 12:10 a.m. ― 1 year, 5 months ago

JeanMarc, do you realize what the world would be like if we lived strictly by the Romans?

What little is mentioned about homosexuality is vague and minute, proving that homosexuality was not a religious preoccupation as zealots have reinvented it today.

And on top of the cherry picking you then say someone who believes Jesus loves everybody is not a "real Christian" because they don't overeggaterte certain aspects of scripture while under exaggerating others as the religious charlatans of today do in order to make tos of money and gain political power?

RegularChristian seems more Chrisian to me than most who lim to be Christian!