Skip to main content

KPBS Radio is undergoing scheduled upgrade work which may result in temporary signal outages.

LATEST UPDATES: Tracking COVID-19 | Vaccines | Tokyo Olympics

San Diego Appeals Court Issues Stay In Restaurant Reopening Ruling

A sign hung on the exterior of Rudford's Restaurant reads

Photo by Alexander Nguyen

Above: A sign hung on the exterior of Rudford's Restaurant reads "Stand Up Small Business! #Defy" in the North Park neighborhood of San Diego County. Sept. 20, 2020.

UPDATE: 9:29 a.m, Dec. 19, 2020

An appeals court Friday stayed a judge's decision to halt enforcement of COVID-19 restrictions against San Diego County restaurants, meaning eateries must again abide by the state's regional stay-at-home order, at least for now.

Lawyers for the state filed the emergency challenge to San Diego Superior Court Judge Joel R. Wohlfeil's preliminary injunction, which was issued Wednesday in a lawsuit filed by two San Diego strip clubs Wohlfeil ultimately ruled could remain open.

Wohlfeil's ruling also encompassed all restaurants in the county and all businesses that provide "restaurant service."

Three justices from the Fourth District Court of Appeals, District One, read and considered the order and stayed the injunction "pending further order of this court." The court ordered any oppositions to the state's filing to be submitted by noon Wednesday, according to an appeals court docket.

Lawyers from the state argued that Wohlfeil overreached in his ruling, as no restaurants were parties in the suit initially filed in October by Cheetahs Gentleman's Club and Pacers Showgirls International.

Meanwhile, the county Board of Supervisors met in closed session Friday afternoon to discuss legal options regarding Wohlfeil's ruling, and ultimately voted to join the state in its appeal.

A statement from Board of Supervisors Chairman Greg Cox said the board would only direct county attorneys to argue against the portion of Wohlfeil's ruling that applies to strip clubs' continued operation and allowing indoor dining.

"We support outdoor dining with appropriate safety protocols that have been previously established," Cox's statement read. "We remind everyone that the virus is still out there. Please continue to cover your face, wash your hands and avoid gatherings."

In a statement released early Friday evening, Supervisor Jim Desmond decried the appeals court's ruling.

"Today's decision to close restaurants one day after they were allowed to open is tragic for San Diego's workforce," Desmond said. "The seesawing of people's livelihoods one week before Christmas is devastating."

Reported by Matt Hoffman , Video by Mike Damron

Supervisor Nathan Fletcher took the opposite stance, contending in a prepared statement that the "massive rise in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations" makes it necessary for government leaders to "make difficult decisions to slow the spread of the virus."

"This is the right decision to protect our communities given the severity of cases and hospitalizations we are experiencing in San Diego County," said Fletcher, co-chairman of San Diego County's COVID-19 Subcommittee. "Everyone should stay home unless it is absolutely essential."

Fletcher said he "vehemently" disagreed with Wohlfeil's ruling and called the Board of Supervisors vote "a positive step.""

FEATURED PODCAST

San Diego News Now podcast branding

San Diego news; when you want it, where you want it. Get local stories on politics, education, health, environment, the border and more. New episodes are ready weekday mornings. Hosted by Anica Colbert and produced by KPBS, San Diego and the Imperial County's NPR and PBS station.

  • Need help keeping up with the news that matters most? Get the day's top news — ranging from local to international — straight to your inbox each weekday morning.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Want more KPBS news?
Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or sign up for our newsletters.

To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.