Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Student brings ghost gun to Lincoln High School, prompting SWAT standoff

San Diego's Lincoln High School is pictured in this undated photo.
San Diego Unified School District
San Diego's Lincoln High School is pictured in this undated photo.

A Lincoln High School student who brought a ghost gun onto the campus locked himself in an administrative room Tuesday after being confronted by campus police and refused to surrender for more than an hour, prompting a SWAT standoff that ended in his arrest.

The gun scare at the secondary school in the 4700 block of Imperial Avenue began at about 2:30 p.m., according to the San Diego Police Department.

After being brought to the principal's office for questioning regarding reports that he had brought a kit-built, unserialized handgun to school, the suspect — believed to be 16 years old — managed to lock himself in the room and would not come out, San Diego Unified Police Department Capt. Alfonso Contreras told reporters.


The student refused repeated orders to surrender, prompting police to send in a SWAT team, SDPD Officer John Buttle said.

The stalemate ended about 3:45 p.m., when an officer stunned the suspect with a beanbag-shotgun round, according to San Diego police. The boy had a ghost gun tucked in his pants when he was taken into custody, SDPD public affairs Lt. Adam Sharki said.

While describing the incident as "very disturbing," the school police captain noted that it had ended on several positive notes.

"We were able to safely take the student into custody and recover a firearm on our campus," Contreras told news crews.

KPBS has created a public safety coverage policy to guide decisions on what stories we prioritize, as well as whose narratives we need to include to tell complete stories that best serve our audiences. This policy was shaped through months of training with the Poynter Institute and feedback from the community. You can read the full policy here.