Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
Watch Live

Public Safety

Autopsy: Jail Inmate Died Of Meth Overdose

A battery suspect who passed out and died last month shortly after arriving at San Diego Central Jail succumbed to an accidental drug overdose, authorities reported Wednesday.

Deputies found 51-year-old Michael Leval Bush unconscious in a receiving cell at the Front Street detention center about 4:15 a.m. July 2, according to sheriff's officials.

Jail staffers and paramedics tried in vain to revive Bush before pronouncing him dead about a half-hour later, sheriff's Lt. Chad Boudreau said.


"The investigation showed Bush told (another) inmate ... that he swallowed narcotics prior to being arrested," Boudreau said. "An autopsy conducted by the Medical Examiner's Office showed a plastic baggie was (in) Bush's stomach."

The post-mortem exam found that Bush died of acute methamphetamine intoxication, and his death was ruled an accident, Boudreau said.

KPBS has created a public safety coverage policy to guide decisions on what stories we prioritize, as well as whose narratives we need to include to tell complete stories that best serve our audiences. This policy was shaped through months of training with the Poynter Institute and feedback from the community. You can read the full policy here.