MORE STORIES BY THIS AUTHOR
$24 billion projected budget deficit may test California’s resolve to grow safety net amid recessionAdvocates warn now is not the time to cut programs that help the poor. The state has reserves to weather a tough year but a recession could deepen the deficit.
An emergency housing voucher program offers improvements to the decades-old federal solution to the housing affordability crisis, but landlord reluctance remains a crucial hurdle.
California will offer food assistance to undocumented people over 55. Advocates want more. They say younger people need help, too.
LATEST IN PODCASTS
LATEST IN EVENTS
LATEST IN TV HIGHLIGHTS
- Sinkhole wreaking havoc in Cardiff neighborhood
- San Marcos man's Viking ship takes to the water of Mission Bay for maiden voyage
- Trump claims that he will be arrested this week
- How do you take a picture of happiness? We asked photographers to surprise us
- She blacked out at World Championships. Now swimmer Anita Alvarez makes a comeback