MORE STORIES BY THIS AUTHOR
$24 billion projected budget deficit may test California’s resolve to grow safety net amid recessionAdvocates warn now is not the time to cut programs that help the poor. The state has reserves to weather a tough year but a recession could deepen the deficit.
An emergency housing voucher program offers improvements to the decades-old federal solution to the housing affordability crisis, but landlord reluctance remains a crucial hurdle.
California will offer food assistance to undocumented people over 55. Advocates want more. They say younger people need help, too.
- City of Carlsbad declares another storm-related emergency
- Chula Vista councilmember resigns, new charges filed in criminal case
- San Diego County in store for less rain than most of Southern California
- Rain, possible flooding, thunderstorms expected in San Diego County this week
- Barrier wall to be constructed where landslide stopped rail service in San Clemente