MORE STORIES BY THIS AUTHOR
The governor threw communities into disarray two weeks ago by withholding $1 billion in homelessness funding for plans he saw as unambitious. But local officials said the assignment itself discouraged ambition. Now Newsom is yielding.
An emergency housing voucher program offers improvements to the decades-old federal solution to the housing affordability crisis, but landlord reluctance remains a crucial hurdle.
LATEST IN PODCASTS
LATEST IN TV HIGHLIGHTS
- Israel and Hamas agree to a 2-day extension of the truce in Gaza
- Millions of U.S. apples were almost left to rot. Now, they'll go to hungry families
- Derek Chauvin, officer convicted of George Floyd's murder, was stabbed in prison
- A rare treat: a painting by Renaissance master Titian is on display at a high school
- Civilian deaths are being dismissed as 'crisis actors' in Gaza and Israel