UCSD Student Suspended For Hanging Noose
Friday, February 26, 2010
The UC San Diego student who hung a noose inside a campus library has been suspended from the university. Chancellor Mary Anne Fox says it's one example of how the university is taking actions to quell racial tensions.
Police say the female student hung a noose from a bookcase inside the Geisel Library. Campus police are not classifying it as a hate crime, but there are saying the noose was left with the intent to terrorize.
It's another racially-charged incident since a group of students took part in the so-called Compton Cookout party. Fox told students at a campus demonstration that her highest priority is their safety.
“We need to come together and stand together strongly. I pledge to you that we will create a campus climate that students will know that this university that respects them and their communities,” Fox said.
Minority students took over Fox's office on Friday to demand change. Fox says she is taking actions based on a list of student demands from UCSD's Black Student Union. One of her actions is the creation of a task force to help bolster outreach and recruitment strategies for minority students. Other actions include:
- Charging a permanent taskforce to review and enhance outreach programs and identify recruitment strategies to attract minority faculty. Associate Vice Chancellor of Faculty Equity and the Faculty Equity Advisors will serve as the core of this committee.
- Creation of a Campus Climate Commission modeled after UCLA’s recent efforts to address declines in African-American enrollments
- Continue to fund the Faculty-Student Mentor Programs; fund the vacant Program Coordinator position in the African American Studies Minor; continue to provide funding within the Chancellor’s Diversity Office
- Currently identifying a space for an African-American Resource Center on campus
- Currently identifying appropriate, central locations for cultural art
- Chancellor and campus leaders to meet with the chair and vice chair of the Black Student Union at least once every academic quarter.
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.