San Diego Remembers Pearl Harbor 70 Years Later
Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Stuart Hedley, President, Pearl Harbor Association, Chapter 3 (San Diego)
Iris Bergstrom, history professor, USD
KPBS Evening Edition interview with 99-year-old Pearl Harbor Survivor Raymond Chavez, of Poway
Library of Congress Veterans History Project-Archive a veterans story.
KPBS Homepost on National Pearl Harbor Survivors Association disbanding
National Pearl Harbor Survivors Association
San Diego Veterans History Museum
A ceremony aboard the USS Midway Museum in San Diego today marked the 70th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
The 1941 attack led by 353 Japanese planes -- fighters, bombers and torpedo planes -- killed about 2,400 Americans and thrust the nation into World War II, which had been raging for several years in Europe and Asia.
"When I first heard the explosion of the (battleship USS) Arizona, I thought, 'we're in World War II,' and we were,'' Stuart Hedley, who was 20 at the time, told 10News. He served aboard the battleship USS West Virginia, which was heavily damaged by multiple torpedo hits.
Hedley, the president of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, said the anniversary was a reminder to stay alert.
Among those honored were Arnold "Max'' Bauer, who was found living in squalor east of El Cajon about a year ago, clutching a photograph of his vessel, the repair ship Vestal, which was adjacent the doomed Arizona.
Bauer, believed to have been 94, died last month at the veterans home in Chula Vista. His caretaker, Milagros Angeles, faces several felony charges.
The ceremony included tossing a wreath into San Diego Bay at 9:55 a.m., to coincide with the time the attack began.
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.