National City Psychologist Arrested For Selling Immigration and Social Security Forms

A National City psychologist was arrested and charged today on suspicion of completing and selling immigration and Social Security forms falsely stating that his patients had a medical disability.

Dr. Roberto J. Velasquez, 55, was charged with making false statements in immigration documents and applications for Supplemental Security Income disability benefits.

According to an affidavit in support of a complaint and arrest warrant, a confidential source told Immigration and Customs Enforcement Special Agent Nickolaus Jones last September that Velasquez was fraudulently completing U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services forms for immigrants in San Diego County.

For a fee of $200, Velasquez would provide a form falsely stating that a person qualified for a medical disability exception, even though the person had no actual disability, according to the affidavit.

Velasquez was also completing medical reports for people seeking to file applications for Social Security Administration's Supplemental Security Income program, authorities said. Velasquez would falsely state that those people had a medical disability, according to the affidavit.

Last September 22, an undercover ICE agent, posing as an immigrant, went to Velasquez's Pacific Health Systems requesting an "immigration paper," according to the affidavit.

During the visit with Velasquez, the psychologist told the undercover agent, "Alright very good, we're going to make you a U.S. citizen, OK?" to which the agent responded, "Thank you doctor," according to the affidavit.

According to the affidavit, Velasquez collected some biographical information from the agent posing as an immigrant then stated, "I have to come up with a reason why you cannot take the American Citizenship exam."

Velasquez told the undercover agent that he would say the supposed immigrant knew a little bit of English, "that you're depressed, sad anxious, um, I'm going to make a good report for you," according to the affidavit.

Comments

HarryStreet | April 14, 2012 at 3:51 p.m. ― 2 years ago

Just another example of a person taking advantage of people seeking a dream of becoming Americans.

Marilu72 | April 16, 2012 at 11:53 p.m. ― 2 years ago

I can’t believe what some people will do to try to hang a successful Latino man who happens to have a Ph. D in Psychology. Dr. Velasquez has been known to be a strong advocate for Latinos psychological medical needs and a role model for up-coming future Latinos Psychologist and Minorities… and as he is still trying to form a path for future minority generations…Yet he is targeted and faulty accused of a petti crime at a federal level… it just shows how minorities are still being target and halt in achieving the American dream as they are still trying to leave a legacy for future minorities to follow. Marilu

oskarin | April 17, 2012 at 2:37 p.m. ― 2 years ago

Puleeeeze Lady Marilu, do not start with the usual race conspiracy on this. Mr. Velasquez has abused his position and has brought disgrace and embarrassment to the honest Hispanic community, particularly those in his field. I personally know this so called "Doctor", and I repeat, he has brought nothing but shame to all of us. Obviously you have not been around him (maybe) during long conversations, no decent man, much less a "PHD" uses the type of language he seems to like so much, unbecoming a psyuchology of all things. I am not making this up, and his arrest comes as no surprise to me. I ask you, do not bring the race card into this matter, it had nothing to do with it. I could add a lot more but it would not be fair to him at this point. This has nothing to do with race. Period. Get the facts before posting. Thank you.

Marilu72 | April 17, 2012 at 7:30 p.m. ― 2 years ago

Dear Oskarin, It seems to me you have a personal motivation in condemning this man before the appropriate juristically system Does? It’s up to our justice system to prove if these evident against him are true or not true... It sound to me, you might be behind this accusation since you mention you know him personally and you’re not fond of Dr. Velasquez… I CAN SEE IN YOU COMMENT… ANGER, FUSTRATION AND BITTERNESS. However, let me include a list of authors who provide historical evident of Latinos being targeted and facing struggles and barrios trying to achieve the American Dream.
Frank D. Bean and and Marta Tienda , The Hispanic Population of the United States, 1988.
Earl Shorris , Latinos, A Biography of the People, 1992.
Frank de Varona, ed., Hispanic Presence in the United States: Historical Beginnings, 1993.
James D. Cockcroft , The Hispanic Struggle for Social Justice: The Hispanic Experience in the Americas, 1994. The Hispanic Almanac: From Columbus to Corporate America, 1994.
Bureau of the Census , Population Projections of the United States, by Age, Sex, Race, and Hispanic Origin: 1995 to 2050, 1997.
Nick Kanellos and and Cristelia Perez , Chronology of Hispanic American History, 1995.
Geoffrey Fox , Hispanic Nation: Culture, Politics, and the Construction of Identity, 1996.
Roberto Suro , Strangers Among Us: How Latino Immigration is Transforming America, 1998.
Mike Davis , Magical Urbanism: Latinos Reinvent the U.S. City, 2000.

honestly | April 18, 2012 at 1:30 a.m. ― 2 years ago

Marilu72 you are showing your ignorance. It does not matter what race he is. What he was doing was wrong period. You can quote all the authors you want but trust me when I say to know him is to know he is guilty. He is robbing us of our taxes for each person he falsely documented as disabled and personally I am tired of working hard so others can live for free so get off your soap box come back down to earth and fight for the American Dream by living an honest life and expecting the rest of the wold to do the same I agree he has brought shame to all Americans Period.

oskarin | April 18, 2012 at 10:53 a.m. ― 1 year, 12 months ago

Dear Marilu, sorry but you are very very wrong. I have absolutely no personal motivation to see this man convicted and I am not behind his arrest which I repeat, comes as no surprise to me. Why? because I have personally been a witness to his behaviour in public as well as private gatherings. I am not retracting a single word from my previous statements. There is little doubt in my mind that he will be found guilty, and honestly, I feel sorry for him, he has ruined his career, his life and probably others by his actions, he has brought embarrasment to all Hispanics and particularly those in the same field who are truly honest and hard working. On second thought, I do not feel sorry for him, as an adult person with an education many others only dream of having, a great career and future, he chose to take the wrong road, now he has to face the consequences. As for the list of authors, I did not even bother to read, it has nothing to do with this case, I respect and admire those who made a difference in life for the Hispanic population without having to resort to fraud and illicit pesonal gain. you must come down to reality and try to do something based on your own merits, not ethnicity, that is discrimination in reverse and I can see by your response you are one of those trying to get ahead by using the "race card". I promise you, eventually you will find out the truth about your idol, then it will be "eat crow time". As a last comment, me showing anger, frustration and bitterness? Absolutely and totally wrong again, my dear.

sdsugrad | July 22, 2013 at 7:15 a.m. ― 9 months ago

Since this story is "old news", I hesitated to comment. But after reading the comments above, I wanted to add something. While I don't know Dr. Velasquez on a personal level, I do know him on an academic and professional level. I took a couple of his classes at San Diego State and I also sought him out at one point for help with Depression. There are several good things I can say about this man. He is quite a character. His classes were very entertaining and I learned quite a bit. It's a shame he ruined his reputation and maybe his career by trying to cheat the system. He was very helpful to me in both cases. Helping me with Depression probably saved my life and he did it free of charge. I was both surprised and saddened to hear about this to say the least. We all make mistakes and I hope he learned from his.

sdsugrad | July 22, 2013 at 7:31 a.m. ― 9 months ago

In case people were curious, here is the official update from the State of California Department of Justice, released on May 29, 2013. The link below will take you to a PDF of the news release.

Forgot your password?