Boy Scouts Sex Abuse Files Kept From Law Enforcement
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Mitch Blacher investigative reporter, 10News
Phyllis Shess is a former San Diego deputy district attorney and now executive director of the San Diego Sex Offender Management Council
Mitch Blacher, an investigative reporter with 10News, says he has analyzed secret documents the Boy Scouts of America did not want the public to see.
He told KPBS the documents contain allegations of sexual abuse from 1971 to 1991.
Blacher and 10News sorted through the files and found at least 35 specific cases relate to San Diego.
“These files have newspaper clippings of trials, they have allegations from parents, from youth within the Boy Scouts of America, they also have charges from courts,” Blacher said. “All sorts of things that would point to sexual abuse allegations, all things the Boy Scouts of America knew about people working within the organization.”
Blacher said the documents were initially released out of Washington State and last month the Oregon Supreme Court upheld the decision to release the documents.
In response to the documents, Bob Mazzuca, the chief scout executive for the Boy Scouts of America, said his organization takes allegations of abuse very seriously and works hard to incorporate the best practices to prevent abuse.
“But unfortunately there still have been times where the best practices of the time weren’t sufficient, and for that we are deeply sorry,” Mazzuca said in a recorded message.
Blacher said the Boy Scouts have refused to speak to his station on camera. The full report from 10News can be seen here.
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.