Marine Veteran Jailed In Mexico Gives First Interview (Video)

Facebook

U.S. Marine veteran Andrew Tahmooressi

U.S. Marine veteran Andrew Tahmooressi found himself in Tijuana accidentally after missing the last freeway exit before entering Mexico. After Mexican guards at the border found firearms in his truck, The Associated Press reports, Tahmooressi was thrown in jail on weapons charges.

Now, Tahmooressi is giving his first interview from Tijuana's La Mesa Penitentiary since getting locked up March 31. He told U-T TV reporter Sandra Dibble his situation felt desperate from the get-go:

"I was nervous, you know, because I was missing my family. Seemed like no one really cared for me there too much, so it didn't seem like I had any help at all. And, the people in there, they started messing with me. They like, uh, they tried to make me more scared than I already was. They weren't helping me at all."

The predicament in which Tahmooressi finds himself is reminiscent of what Marine veteran Jon Hammar endured in 2012. As Home Post reported then, Hammar was headed to Costa Rica on a surfing trip, but was arrested in Mexico when he declared an antique firearm (that once belonged to his great-grandfather) to Mexican Customs agents.

Hammar was released back to the United States after four months in prison, thanks in part to a feisty public media campaign launched by his parents.

10News reports Congressmen Scott Peters and Duncan Hunter have both contacted Secretary of State John Kerry, urging the State Department to make a diplomatic intervention on behalf of Tahmooressi.

Here's the full jailhouse interview with Tahmooressi:

Video

Andrew Tahmooressi Tijuana jail interview

Comments

Missionaccomplished | May 7, 2014 at 11:51 a.m. ― 4 months, 2 weeks ago

We can expect double standards, posturing, and whitewashing from the Nativist Hunter. Like father, like son. As for Peters, he's got the elections on his mind.

Peking_Duck_SD | May 7, 2014 at 1:45 p.m. ― 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Mr. Kerry should hang-up on Mr. hunter and tell him not to call back.

I seriously doubt some Nationalistic buffoon known for making disparaging comments about Mexico is going to help get this guy to freedom in any way shape or form.

It can only make the situation much worse.

Rezqewr | May 7, 2014 at 2:38 p.m. ― 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Hunter notwithstanding, the young Marine needs to be released from Mexican custody. Having been to the border a "few" times, it's real easy to get stuck in an entry lane, with no way to get out.

What up, Peking_Duck? Come visit some time at www.therantboard.com

muckapoo1 | May 7, 2014 at 4:24 p.m. ― 4 months, 2 weeks ago

So much for our "neighbors" from the South. A corrupt third-world country. We are supposed to leave our citizens rot in squalor while we allow illegals from their country walk our streets. Then, if these illegals commit a crime, we let them walk the streets again. If Tahmooressi is not released soon, I call for mass deportations. Round them up and ship them out. I'll pick my own fruit.

CaliforniaDefender | May 7, 2014 at 4:42 p.m. ― 4 months, 2 weeks ago

#1 RULE FOR NEWCOMERS AND TOURISTS IN SAN DIEGO:

STAY AWAY FROM THE BORDER.

FAR AWAY.

Missionaccomplished | May 7, 2014 at 9:18 p.m. ― 4 months, 2 weeks ago

_uckkkapoop1, he's an armed foreigner. You would be having a fit is it was reversed.

CA off, your caps are lockkked.

Missionaccomplished | May 7, 2014 at 9:21 p.m. ― 4 months, 2 weeks ago

PS Muckkkapoop1, if this young Iranian-American man or someone in his family had committed a crime--even a minor one, you'd be the first here demanding they be rounded up and deported!!! Your reactionary hypocrisy knows no bounds.

CaliforniaDefender | May 8, 2014 at 11:14 a.m. ― 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Missionfailed,

Sorry, when my keyboard detects I have an important public safety message, it automatically locks caps. Very intelligent keyboard!

Oh and I noticed your "k" key is stuck. Probably gummed up with caviar, frappachinos, and liberal angst.