Fallout From Failed Convention Center Expansion Measure Could Cost San Diego Millions
Wednesday, August 15, 2018
It’s been almost a week since a city-backed plan to fund a convention center expansion fell apart. The resulting fallout could end up costing the city of San Diego millions of dollars.
In June the council approved a $5 million payment to secure land near the existing convention center. That payment was contingent on a citizens initiative passing this November, but it failed to qualify for the ballot. Then last week a similar proposal from Mayor Kevin Faulconer also was not going on the ballot.
So is the city still on the hook for that $5 million down payment? Here’s what we know.
The Board of Port Commissioners discussed the deal Tuesday in closed session with legal counsel.
"In light of the developments last week we need to understand what’s next for the port going forward," said Port of San Diego Spokeswoman Tanya Castaneda. "The port will be talking with the city of San Diego and Fifth Avenue Landing about the next steps."
An important piece of this deal was the city transferring $5 million to the port for the down payment. City documents stipulate that payment was due within 60 days of signing the purchase agreement.
It’s been 63 days since the City Council approved the purchase details — but it is unclear when the purchase agreement was signed.
A signed copy of the agreement will be filed with the city clerk. But the clerk's office said they do not have a signed copy yet.
The San Diego City Attorney’s office said it is working with the mayor to discuss future steps. KPBS has reached out to the mayor’s office but has not heard back.
In June the council approved a $5 million payment to secure land near the existing convention center — but that payment was contingent on a citizens initiative passing this November, but it failed to qualify for the ballot.
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.