Skip to main content

LATEST UPDATES: Election 2020: Live Results | Tracking COVID-19 | Racial Justice

High Winds, Scattered Showers Expected in San Diego County

Gray clouds fill the sky above San Carlos, May 21, 2019.

Photo by KPBS Staff

Above: Gray clouds fill the sky above San Carlos, May 21, 2019.

Gusty winds will buffet the San Diego County mountains and deserts Tuesday and could cause hazardous driving conditions, according to the National Weather Service.

The agency issued a wind advisory that will last until 11 p.m. Tuesday in the county mountains and deserts.

Wind speeds Tuesday are expected to range from 20 to 30 mph with gusts of 55 mph possible along desert mountain slopes, forecasters said. Isolated gusts could reach 65 to 70 mph.

Driving conditions could be impacted by blowing dust and debris, according to the NWS. Drivers of high-profile vehicles were advised to be particularly wary of using desert roads.

A slight chance of rain will increase this evening and scattered showers are expected through Thursday morning, forecasters said.

There is a 30 percent chance of measurable precipitation Tuesday in coastal areas, a 40 percent chance in inland valley areas, a 40 percent chance in the mountains and the deserts have a 20 percent chance.

A beach hazards statement warning of surf ranging from 3 to 5 feet along with dangerous rip currents will be in effect through 9 a.m. Tuesday.

High temperatures Tuesday will be 63 degrees at the beaches and inland, 63 in the western valleys, 47 to 57 in the mountains and 72 to 77 in the deserts.


San Diego News Matters podcast branding

KPBS' daily news podcast covering local politics, education, health, environment, the border and more. New episodes are ready weekday mornings so you can listen on your morning commute.

  • Need help keeping up with the news that matters most? Get the day's top news — ranging from local to international — straight to your inbox each weekday morning.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Curious San Diego banner

Want more KPBS news?
Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or sign up for our newsletters.

To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.