Happiest Baby On The Block With Dr. Harvey Karp
Airs Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 3 p.m. on KPBS TV
Since the initial release of his work, this award winning DVD and book, "The Happiest Baby On The Block," have literally redefined our culture’s understanding of the needs of newborns.
No wonder pediatricians across the country are praising him and millions of parents, from working moms to superstars like Madonna and Michele Pfeiffer, have turned to him to learn the secrets for making their babies happy.
Never again will parents have to stand by helpless and frazzled while their poor baby cries and cries. There IS a cure for colic. Dr. Karp shows the world that we do not have to let our babies cry it out. “Now parents can easily learn the methods used by the best baby soothers throughout history.”
In a thought-provoking new view of infancy, Dr. Karp blends modern science and ancient wisdom to prove that newborns are not really ready for the world when they are born.
Through his research and experience, he has developed four basic principles that are crucial for understanding babies…improving their sleep…and, soothing their senses:
- The Missing 4th Trimester: As odd as it may sound, one of the main reasons babies cry is because they are born three months too soon.
- The Calming Reflex: The automatic reset switch that can stop a baby’s crying…and boost a baby’s sleep…during the first months of life.
- The 5 S’s: Five simple steps that trigger the calming reflex (swaddling, side/stomach position, shushing, swinging and sucking). For centuries, parents have tried these methods only to fail because, as with a knee reflex, the calming reflex only works when it is triggered in exactly the right way.
- The Cuddle Cure: The perfect mix the 5 S’s that can soothe even most colicky infants and add hours to their sleep.
In his award-winning DVD and book, Dr. Karp also explains::
- What is colic?
- Why is infant crying more common in the evening?
- How can a parent calm a fussy baby – in mere minutes?
- Can babies be spoiled?
- When should a parent of a fussy baby call the doctor?
- What can a parent do to instantly boost their baby’s sleep?
Even the most loving moms and dads sometimes feel pushed to the breaking point by their infant’s persistent cries. Coming to the rescue, however, Dr. Karp places in the hands of parents, grandparents, and all childcare givers the tools they need to be able to make 95% of babies calm, happy and well rested!
"The Happiest Baby On The Block" is on Facebook, and you can follow @happiestbaby on Twitter. Dr. Karp also offers a free newsletter with cool facts about your infant or toddler.
This program is part of our TV Membership Campaign. Support quality programming you depend on from KPBS. Join or renew today!