Thursday, February 11, 2010
A San Diego County family is expected to recover after being hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning.
A fire dispatcher says a Santee couple and their four children were taken to the hospital shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday after the man called 911 to report his family was ill.
Firefighters found a high level of carbon monoxide in the home but the cause was under investigation.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can kill in sufficient quantity. It can spread into homes from faulty heaters or blocked fireplaces and deaths often occur during colder months.
Santee is about 10 miles northeast of San Diego.