Do You Want a Parade to Celebrate the End of War in Iraq?

Ticker-tape parade
Enlarge this image

Above: Ticker-tape parade

Special Feature Home Post Blog

Republican presidential candidate and Texas Governor Rick Perry slammed President Obama today while on the campaign trail – for not having organized a parade to honor the troops who fought in the Iraq War. Perry told a crowd of diners in an Iowa restaurant:

“Maybe it’s because this war is unpopular for the Democrats, I don’t know. But Mr. President, our soldiers come first. And it comes before party politics. We need to welcome our soldiers home.”

Pentagon officials say that no one has asked them to plan one. (Read more from Home Post)

Comments

HarryStreet | December 28, 2011 at 2:34 p.m. ― 2 years, 3 months ago

That's quite a question. What did we win? The country has been at civil war since '06 despite our presence. They're still in turmoil. We never found WMDs.

I think the veterans would appreciate improved healthcare versus a parade. At least that's something they can use.

benz72 | December 28, 2011 at 4 p.m. ― 2 years, 3 months ago

I didn't get one when I got back, nor would I have appreciated it. What I wanted was to see my wife, have a good cheeseburger and get a singlemalt. A parade would only have delayed getting me to what I was really after.
Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate being greeted by the USO and those quick "Thank You"s and "Welcome Home"s were fantastic. It was exactly what I needed. A parade is a major undertaking that will keep some guy who just got home on the hook any longer than he needs to be. Just shake his hand, smile and let him go back to the things he has been dreaming about for his entire deployment.
Just my $0.02, other opinions will vary.

Missionaccomplished | December 28, 2011 at 10:35 p.m. ― 2 years, 3 months ago

Sure Rick. You pay the bill.

bcspiders | December 29, 2011 at 10:38 a.m. ― 2 years, 3 months ago

Maybe he could spend time influencing his GOP do-nothing buddies in Congress to do something to help get veterans back to work. That would be more useful than a parade that everyone will forget about shortly after.

I wasn't given a parade but I was able to get and education and work. But, then, those who sent me off didn't destroy the economy which allowed me to succeed.

benz72 is spot as well. Get these folks home to get them on to whatever will be next for them in their lives.

genek1953 | December 29, 2011 at 11:35 a.m. ― 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm not a soldier or a veteran, but it seems to me that most returning servicemembers would probably appreciate it a lot more if the politicians clamoring for parades would just pledge to stop trying to slash veterans' benefits and close VA hospitals.

vsanfi | July 1, 2012 at 4:15 p.m. ― 1 year, 9 months ago

The Iraq, Afghan, Pakistani, Somali wars are war crimes.
FBI says there is no evidence linking 9-11 to terrorists.
We have physical evidence of US military explosives at all 3 9-11 sites.
The Tea Party corporates did 9-11, as well as underwear bomber and H1N1.
Stop FBI entrapment and fake terror. Stop the oil wars. Stop global warming. Stop the vote cheating. Get out and landslide. Thank you.

Forgot your password?